Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Would you name your child after your favorite TV character?

I always was kind of one of those who stayed away from naming my kids after fictional people that was until someone brought up Rafael Barba from Law & Order SVU. Not only do I have a thing for the man who plays him (Raúl Esparza is just a Cuban dream and I could talk about him for the rest of my life), but when someone I know suggested Rafaela knowing how big a fan of his I am I kind of really started to contemplate using. I think Rafaela Grace is beyond beautiful and I like how it goes with Willa (double a's but both very different names) so I just want reassurance that I am not the only person in the world who would for sure name my child after a character on television. I guess I always thought names should be somewhat sentimental and "Oh yeah I named you after that one guy on TV who I thought was super sassy and really attractive." just makes for a slightly embarrassing story of how you got your name though it's the truth.
    Mama to Willa and Lakelin!
    MY GROWING LIST

I was named after a character on Days of Our Lives, which is a soap opera. I was always embarrassed about it growing up, but now it's a popular name so I'm like "whatever" lol. Rafaela is a beautiful name. You don't have to tell people where you got the idea.
    Kayla Marie - 25 - USA
    wife to James Edward - mommy to Kiera Jaime (2014)

Ovary lurkers:

Girls (under construction):
    Tamsyn Isolde, Brenna Carys, Morgana Chalcedony (GP)

Boys (family names, set in stone):
    James Gavin, William John

I agree; they don't necessarily need to know your kid's naming story. If you love the name, go for it.
    Future daughters: Kimimela Serene; Daenerys Jasmine; Azalea Dawn; Primavera Rose; Arwen Elizabeth

Future sons: Chetan Paul; Jaxon Conor; Chaske; Aspen; Steel; Arrow; Lynx; Wolf; River; Sequoyah

Former Loves: Tristan; Conor; Heath; Sage; Rhiannon; Rayne

Rising Crushes: Adair; Winter; Elowen; Esmerée; Isabeau; Evening; Avalon; Amarantha; Livia

No kids now or in the near future; gotta finish grad school first. I'm just a name nerd who can't wait to use my faves.

I wouldn't do it if that was the only thing about the name that I liked--the connection to the character.

But if I liked the name and meaning on it's own and had other associations with it (it wasn't made up specifically for that show) then I wouldn't rule it out.

I love the name Lorelei and I grew up loving Gilmore Girls. If the name had further significance to me and my DH loved it, I'd definitely consider it strongly.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I got many of my favourite names from TV shows (I watch way more TV than is healthy, lol!). For example:

Jethro - Leroy Jethro Gibbs from NCIS
    Malcolm - Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly
    Fiona - Fiona Glenanne from Burn Notice (and Princess Fiona from Shrek)
    Nell & Hettie - Nell Jones and Hetty Lange from NCIS: Los Angeles
    Tess - Tess Brennan from One Life to Live

I love all the names despite these connections, but the shows were the first time I heard and fell in love with them. I also watch L&O SVU, and I agree that Rafael Barba is smoking hot, love him! I think it would be cool to be named after a character, so I'd say go for it!
    Last edited by psg007; June 25th, 2014 at 04:10 PM.
    | Sophie | 22 | England, UK |
    loves science, televison, music and names
    Not pregnant or TTC, just collecting!

| Arthur | Jethro | Edmund | Rupert | Dashiell |
    | Margot | Nell | Beatrice | Tess | Harriet |