Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Golden Retriever!

We will be bringing home a golden retriever puppy this August long weekend (the day before my husband's birthday)...the litter (8 pups; 6 girls, 2 boys) were born almost two weeks ago now and we're super excited! Our breeder sends us weekly updates and photos, which is making the anticipation a little more bearable. We made every effort to rescue like we did with out cat, but because we've never owned a dog and we have some absolute musts (good with kids, cats and other dogs) that really diminished the pool.

We've decided we want a girl and here are the names we're deciding between. Our cat is Marty (after Marty McFly):

Sloane
    Abby
    Belle
    Jem
    Willow
    Sydney
    Elsa
    Hazel
    Taylor
    Calla/Kala
    Hadley
    Fable "Fae"
    Flannery

My faves are Hazel (The Fault in Our Stars), Elsa (Frozen) & Fable. Hubs likes Kala & Taylor. He was all for Hazel (in fact he's the one that suggested it) but his brother said it sounded too old, so now he's on the fence (so in the future he's not allowed to discuss baby names with them!). Opinions? Should we stick with the theme of naming our pets after characters?
    jessamyn

Violetta Coraline Isla Cordelia Alice Gwyneth
    Abel Francis Linus Booker Theodore Gibson

TTC #1 October 2014

I think it is a very lovely theme. I can just see a beautiful golden retriever called Hazel. To me Hazel is a kind, gentle, loyal name, and that is exactly what sort of dog golden retriever's are. Flannery, Belle or Elsa would be wonderful too, but personally I think Hazel would fit the best.

You can always give her a middle name too. The family dog, who is officially Lily Violet Cadmus, then last name, has many names: Lil, Lilou, Violet, Miss Pickles, Twinkle Toes, Lou, Lil-Lil-Lil-Lily, Pop (not after grandfather, but because she eats so much food whenever she steals it, and she looks like she is going to pop), Acrobat, Dancy, Nanny, Nan, Ireland (I don't even know why.), Enzo (after the gorgeous, hilarious dog in The Art of Racing in the Rain. I usually don't like these sorts of books, but this is in my top 5 of books to read.), Lily Violet Cadmus, Kimmy K, JLo, Beyoncé (because she is sassy and bootylicious of course ). They are all interchangeable, but that is just the way our family rolls- she responds to them all, especially Beyoncé, which can be a bit awkward when people come over ('Did you seriously name your dog Beyoncé?').

Anyway, I think the character theme is lovely, and Hazel doesn't sound old at all- plus, animals can wear names wonderfully well that people cannot, e.g, my bull, Domino (I actually love this for a girl, but that is beside the point). Good luck!
    Momo Flora
    Dossie Roland

Name List:http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846712

Hazel or fable

We've decided on Caledonia (Kala) for our pup!

Her registered name will be Labyrinth (breeder) Spirit of Caledonia! Her call name (and what we will call her day to day) is Kala.

Golden retrievers are from Scotland, and Caledonia is an old, poetic nickname for Scotland!

I wasn't huge on Kala at the start, but having met the pups now, it seems like it will be a great fit. I still struggle with the spelling (I'm a purist, and it irks me he prefers Kala over Calla) but I'm picking my battles (namely, that there are children in the near future and we'll have to compromise on those names too!)

Runners up:

Labyrinth Spirited Shoshana (Calla) - Shoshana & Calla meaning Lily
    Labyrinth Calliope's Spirit (Calla)
    jessamyn

Violetta Coraline Isla Cordelia Alice Gwyneth
    Abel Francis Linus Booker Theodore Gibson

TTC #1 October 2014

Lovely name for a little golden girl I love kala/cala and her full name is very regal, quite fitting for a golden. I also really like the idea of Hazel btw. I have actually stolen your idea and if I'm lucky enough to get a female golden next time I'm so going to use hazel!! I have a gorgeous 2 year old named, Henry and Hazel would make the perfect "sibset" haha
    Maybe I am a name nerd
    Edmund & Henry
    First born & brother from a furry mother