Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    There are probably more forms of Mary than any other name, so you really have a lot more to choose from than I think you realize. Start here for international variations: http://nameberry.com/list/63/Marys-I...nal-Variations

Behind The Name also has a thorough collection of variations and diminutives. You can click on an "other languages" option (say, Maria) and see a bunch of diminutives for that too. You can really find a Mary diminutive or variant for any name style. http://www.behindthename.com/name/mary

The root of Mary is a bit obscure and has been oversimplified into "bitter." BTN has a good discussion. I love Mara - simple, underused, and melodic. I wouldn't let a meaning put you off when (1) the "bitter" thing isn't even a certainty, and doesn't mean "bitter" in terms of the personality trait, anyway; and (2) If you're choosing a name with a different root, that means it's not a form of Mary ... so it really isn't honoring a Mary.

A few variants you may like:
    Mia
    Mairi
    Malia
    Marya
    Marin
    Mari
    Maia
    Girls:
    Nickname-able: Susanna, Johanna, Paloma, Lucille, Harriet, Beatrix, Rosemary, Juniper, Marigold, Annabeth, Gwendolen, Kathleen, Tabitha
    Short and to-the-point: Flora, Jane, Laura, Anne, Cecile, Susan, Kaia

Boys:
    So much easier: Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy, Frederick

I agree with @rlinden, the "bitter" meaning is debatable and there are many more positive associations with the name.

I think Mary is gorgeous and elegant, either on its own, with a nickname (Molly, May, Mimi) or as part of a double name (from your list. Mary-Elodie, Mary-Zahra, or Mary-Ayla would be pretty & unexpected).
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

Not expecting...yet! Just love names!
    Lyric | Ophelia | Shiloh | Delilah | Everly | Leilani | Fianna | Seraphina | Journey | Meadow | Raina/Raine | Aspen
    Jasper | River | Ezra | August | Ace | Dominick | Abel | Lincoln | Jett | Knox | Silas | Lucien | Hudson | Macsen

Mary is one of my favorites!

How about Rosemary? You'll still have the Mary part, but without the bitter meaning and the timeless nn Rose. Another one I like is Mariah.
    Last edited by aprilcarrie; June 24th, 2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo
    Carrie

Mother of three men named August Levi (05.11.07), Avery Spencer (09.13.11) and Asa Callum (07.10.14)