Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Roman, Greek, and Biblical names for boys

So my husband apparently only likes boys names that are Roman, Greek, or Biblical (and he likes the obscure Biblical names). He made a list, and I'm looking for feedback on these names as well as other names that are similar to these. His favorite is Gaius, and I just can't see really naming a child Gaius -- any ideas for names like Gaius that are a little more wearable?

Here is his list. Thoughts?

Gaius
    Gideon
    Benedict
    Ezekiel
    Zachariah
    Lazarus
    Jeremiah
    Abraham
    Seth
    Cassius
    Amais
    Constantine
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

I think Amais, Gideon and Gaius may be a bit much for a little one, but I like everything else on his list ! I particularly like Benedict and Constantine
    Other suggestions that you might find more wearable and that wouldn't clash with the names of your children :
    Marius
    Rufus
    Abel
    Augustus (in your list I see!)
    Atticus
    Horatio
    Lucian
    That's all I have for now, but good luck with negotiations !!

My thoughts on your list:
    Gaius - I'm worried people might mispronounce this as "gay-us" -- eek!
    Gideon - not really my style, but nothing wrong with it
    Benedict - totally cute, but beware of the teasing potential that comes along with that "dic" part
    Ezekiel - sounds kind of geeky, but it could work
    Zachariah - most people will just call him Zac
    Lazarus - neutral
    Jeremiah - nothing wrong with it, but I don't like how it has the girl name Miah in it
    Abraham - so cute! I have this on my list too
    Seth - another favorite of mine
    Cassius - most Cass names these days are used for girls (Cassie, Cassandra, Cassiopia...)
    Amais - pronunciation is kind of confusing
    Constantine - sounds like a girls name to me, honestly

My suggestions:
    Samson (Biblical) - allows for the cute nickname Sam, without sounding as tired as Samuel
    Antonius (Roman) - old Roman form of Anthony; love the nickname Tony
    Eleazar (Biblical) - Lazarus (which is on your husband's list) is the Latinized Greek variation of this name
    Apollo (Greek) - name of the Greek god of archery, music, poetry, prophecy, medicine, and the Sun; also has cool astronomy connections via NASA's Apollo program
    Last edited by cocowhite; June 23rd, 2014 at 04:40 PM.
    Julia. Teenberry. No kids for a while (obvi) but I want lots in the future.

Girls: Diana, Dorothy, Millicent, Mildred, Matilda, Teagan, Leonora, Henrietta, Afternoon, Prairie. . .

Boys: Leo, Leonardo, Michelangelo, John, Isaac, Isaiah, Samson, Abraham, Gus, Amadeus, Orion. . .

Gideon, Benedict and Seth seems more wearable but from your list, I like Sebastian and Augustus!

@cocowhite, I totally agree about Gaius. I've pretty much vetoed that name entirely, even though it is his favorite. I suggested Caius, but he doesn't like it as much. You gave some great suggestions -- I really liked Eleazar! I will run those by him.

Augustus is definitely a contender. But my hubby, who would name a child Gaius or Gideon, says he can't imagine actually naming a kid Sebastian? *sigh* He really likes Seth, and I do too, but it is so short compared to our other kids' names. Our last name is also four letters, one syllable.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! Keep them coming!
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996