Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions About Royalty...

I love world building, but I don't entirely understand how systems of royalty work. I understand that the Queen and/or King rule over a kingdom, and an Emperor and/or Empress rule over an empire. I understand the difference between a kingdom and empire as well. I know that a daughter or son of these monarchs would be a princess or prince. What I don't understand is:

How many types of monarchs are there (kings, emperors, chiefs, tsars, etc.) and their female equivalents/sets?

• Are all of a monarch's children called princes and princesses, or only the heirs (I know this is pretty general and varies from place to place)?

• Where do other nobles or important people (like dukes, shamans, viceroys, etc.) fall into all of this? What would be their "ranking" on the "royal scale" in comparison to the monarch(s)?

• What would a matriarchal society's royalty look like? Would there only be an Empress/Queen? Would the princess be the main heir, and the prince would marry into other kingdoms/empires/tribes?

• Any other general information to know about royalty and how it works? Different (unique) systems of royalty throughout the world?

Thanks!
    Teenberry, History Geek, Lover of Stories and Tales

(Rotating)
    F~•~A~•~V~•~O~•~R~•~I~•~T~•~E~•~S

Aurora, Hermione, Fiona, Katniss

How many types of monarchs are there (kings, emperors, chiefs, tsars, etc.) and their female equivalents/sets?

Hmm... Queen, Empress, Tsarina. There's Pharoah, Sultan, Raj... Probably lots more. Monaco - for example - is a principality, so the prince is basically the same as a king there.

• Are all of a monarch's children called princes and princesses, or only the heirs (I know this is pretty general and varies from place to place)?

In Britain, it's all of them. And their children too. And their children etc if they're in direct succession, a la Prince George.

• Where do other nobles or important people (like dukes, shamans, viceroys, etc.) fall into all of this? What would be their "ranking" on the "royal scale" in comparison to the monarch(s)?

It's different for all of them. I think Duke, Earl, Viscount etc are all on roughly the same lines. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_and_noble_ranks A viceroy is someone who rules in the name of a monarch. For example, there used to be a viceroy for India.

• What would a matriarchal society's royalty look like? Would there only be an Empress/Queen? Would the princess be the main heir, and the prince would marry into other kingdoms/empires/tribes?

I suppose? If you're making it up, you could decide for yourself how it worked.

• Any other general information to know about royalty and how it works? Different (unique) systems of royalty throughout the world?

I'd love to be of more help but this is such a broad topic :/
    Last edited by renrose; June 20th, 2014 at 03:26 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I'm not sure about many of the answers but the second one depends. I think Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex' (the Queen's youngest) children are known by Vicount and lady, I'm sure there is a Lady Louise Windsor. The same goes for Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (the Queen's late sister), her children are/were (not sure if they are still alive) known as lady and viscount. Maybe it's a Count thing?

Also, Anne, Princess Royal's children don't even have titles but they could have if Anne had chosen to they are just known as Zara Tindall (nee Phillips) and Peter Phillips and their kids are just called Mia Tindall and Isla and Savannah Phillips - respectively. I know this but is anything but names but wouldn't it be weird to have a Queen Savannah, Isla or Mia (their birth order)?! But they aren't very near the top of the list, succession wise.

However Prince Andrew, Duke of York's daughters (Princess Eugenie and Beatrice) are known by princess and not lady as most Duke's daughter are, so I guess it's all different!
    Last edited by mollydolally; June 21st, 2014 at 11:10 AM.
    Beautiful baby girl who changed our world: Nettie Claudia Appleby ~ 25th of July 2014

Bryony|Lydia|Vera|Petra|Imogen|Sadie|Monica|Georgi ana|Anneliese|Zara|Clara|Adeline|Lois|Sophia|Elena |Aurora|Lucille|Erica|Mercy|Blythe|Felicity

Jude|Oscar|Xavier|Patrick|Bart|Felix|Nathaniel|Fre derick|Isaac|Evan|Theodore|Adam|Jasper|Callum|Ezra |Ezekiel|Henry|Samson|Niall|Percy|Barney|Seamus|Ha velock

In addition to renrose's reply, there's also the title of Grand Duke / Grand Duchess, Emir, Sultan / Sultana.

Mostly yes. The only exceptions are if a royal family has a rule where its members can only marry into other royal families. In this case, they renounce their royal titles and styles and have a noble title instead - like the Danish Royal Family with Count Flemming of Rosenborg. He was originally a prince although married Countess Ruth who was a commoner.

I can't help you a lot on this subject, although renrose's link would be useful.

It depends on whether you want your royal family to have female primogeniture (where girls are before boys in the line of succession). If they did, the princess would indeed be the main heir, as long as she is older than the prince. Then the prince is the main heir.

In the British royal family, you're not allowed to speak to a member of the royal family unless they speak to you first. Then there's events like Trooping the Colour, Garter Day, Christmas celebrations etc. On the British royal family's website, they have links to sites of other royal families which might help:
    https://www.royal.gov.uk/Links/Royal.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by mollydolally View Post
    I'm not sure about many of the answers but the second one depends. I think Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex' (the Queen's youngest) children are known by Vicount and lady, I'm sure there is a Lady Louise Windsor.
    Yes, there is and you're correct about their titles. Louise is Edward's daughter and her brother is referred to as Viscount Severn, or just James. He'll inherit the Duke of Edinburgh title in the future though.
    Last edited by adelina_sophia; June 20th, 2014 at 07:33 PM.
    teenberry . names . royals . history . photography

adelina sophia ♡ magdalena élisabeth ♡ isla aveline ♡ elysia rose ♡ ophelia maeve
    leo xavier ☆ alexander george ☆ thomas archie ☆ harry lysander ☆ nicholas louis

Girls list, boys list & name blog.

Crushes: daisy. victorine . arabella . philippe . matthew . ivor
    GP Crushes: pomeline . annemijn // rosemijn . eilidh . zephyrus . octavio. erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by adelina_sophia View Post
    Yes, there is and you're correct about their titles. Louise is Edward's daughter and her brother is referred to as Viscount Severn, or just James. He'll inherit the Duke of Edinburgh title in the future though.
    I thought, like with Princess Anne's kids, Sophie's children could have been prince and princess but she and Edward chose not to give them those titles.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.