Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

is Emily too...expected?

What's the beef with Emily? I've been reading up on it via other name sites/opinions and it seems Emily gets a lot of flack for being too popular, overused, plain etc. Of course I know a handful of Emilys but the name is starting to grow on me. I like the fact that it's well known, ages well, and isn't overly frilly. I have Lucy and Emilia on my list and I think Emily captures the spirit of both. So what's the general Berry opinion? Is Emily too expected and boring? If anything, I feel like Emma is becoming mega popular and Emily would be refreshing to hear again. Thoughts?
    Ladies: Lucy Josephine, Emilia Margaret, Audrey Lucille

Gentleman: Morgan Zachary, Gavin Thomas, Avery Glen

Emily and Emma are way too popular/common/boring to me.

Personally, I feel like there are so many other fabulous names. I'm tired of Emma and Emily's reign.
    TTC Since January 2012

Current Name Obsessions:

Priscilla Rose | Evangeline Belle | Genevieve Iris
    Gabriel Joseph | Henry Daniel | Leo Alexander

I prefer Emilia. A LOT MORE.

Emily and Emma, along with Sophia and Olivia, are nice enough names. Perhaps once they had character (there's a reason they got so popular in the first place, right?). Unfortunately, especially for those who are of the generation where they became so popular, or associate with them on a regular basis, the name has become so bland and boring it loses the spark and creativity that makes names special to each of us. It's a shame: I actually used to really like Emma due to the literary cred, mostly, but it's heard so often and I know so many, I've just lost my taste for it. Emily's not a bad name, but it is, unfortunately, rather boring and expected, and has the possibility to become dated in a couple years (think Jessica and Jennifer).
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

I know plenty of Emilys and I still love the name. It is soft and sweet and as you said ages well. It also suits a variety of women/girls so there's less fear of it not "fitting." Yes, it's very popular, but I think some of the "hate" for popular names is a little misplaced. I had a very popular name growing up and I never hated it.
    Current Favorites

Girls: Anneliese - Athena - Augusta - Coralie - Daphne - Georgia - Imogen - Iris - Josephine - Maeve - Miriam

Boys: August - Cormac - Frederic - Forrest - George - Henry - James - Patrick - Samuel - Seamus - Theodore