Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Calling 'dibs' on a name?

Hello!

Long time lurker, first time poster! While I intended on staying that way, I've come up with a dilemma that I would like a little advice on

So, we've been TTC recently, and my partner and I have been discussing baby names. For a girl, he brought up Juno, and we both fell in love with it. It's perfect. Juno goes well with his last name, has a nod to my heritage and honours an old friend of his who passed away a while ago. But there's one problem... my childhood best friend (who I'm still close with) called dibs on this name when we were in high school. She still loves the name (it's second on her list), and isn't looking at having kids anytime soon.

I'm not sure what to do. Any advice? Can someone 'dibs' a name?
    Last edited by uncannie; June 19th, 2014 at 03:55 AM.
    Annie {TTC mid 2014}

Juno Arwen Astrid Greta Poppy Katya Liana Luna Wren Rosa Sage Tamsin
    Emmett Asher August Cassian Theo Leo Oscar Luca Scott Eddard

If she isn't looking to have kids anytime soon, and it is second on her list, I don't think it would be that much of a problem, but I would still ask her. If she loves the name enough, she will use it anyway. If it does mean a lot to her, definitely ask her, if it would be okay, just so she doesn't feel like she has been snubbed and disregarded. It will be nice to involve her in the naming process too. If she says no, maybe Juniper could fill your requirements?? I love Juno too.

Hope that has been of some help. Good luck .
    Last edited by nooshi; June 19th, 2014 at 04:38 AM.
    Momo Flora
    Dossie Roland

Name List:http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846712

I think it's possible to call dibs on a name.
    My sister loves Casimir, and so do I, so I'm trying to avoid it. I know she's found a sort of conservative boyfriend though so it might never happen for her. Either way, she's probably closer to having children than me at this point.

I think you should ask your friend, have a conversation about it. If she's interested in names, you can talk about your other choices as well. I know that If one of my close friends was having a baby before me and wanted to use a name I really like, I would most likely say a bittersweet farewell and be happy about my friend's excellent taste in names. This might not be the case for you and your friend, but I really think the best thing is to talk about it. That way there are no surprises, and surprises are more likely to hurt people than honest conversation well in advance is.
    Åshild / Norwegian / 24 / Name Collector / Work: Daycare and the Library / Love to bake, read and listen to music

Emerence + Eulalie + Everild + Flora + Helena + Leonor + Louisa + Nimue + Ophelia + Rosalind
    Balthasar + Edmund + Emmanuel + Emrys + Ignatius + Isidor + Leonidas + Oberon + Valentine

Want to help me with my lists?
    GIRLS
    BOYS

Bloom + Blythe + Evening + Mercy + Vesper + Briar + Boone + Forest + Hawthorn + Prosper

Quote Originally Posted by dearest View Post
    I think it's possible to call dibs on a name...
    I think you should ask your friend, have a conversation about it. If she's interested in names, you can talk about your other choices as well. I know that If one of my close friends was having a baby before me and wanted to use a name I really like, I would most likely say a bittersweet farewell and be happy about my friend's excellent taste in names. This might not be the case for you and your friend, but I really think the best thing is to talk about it. That way there are no surprises, and surprises are more likely to hurt people than honest conversation well in advance is.
    Quote Originally Posted by nooshi View Post
    If she isn't looking to have kids anytime soon, and it is second on her list, I don't think it would be that much of a problem, but I would still ask her. If she loves the name enough, she will use it anyway. If it does mean a lot to her, definitely ask her, if it would be okay, just so she doesn't feel like she has been snubbed and disregarded. It will be nice to involve her in the naming process too.
    Thank you! Advice is very appreciated! I'll have to talk to her soon; DH is rather attached to the name, but I don't really want to alienate my friend, either. Maybe a compromise :P

Quote Originally Posted by nooshi View Post
    If she says no, maybe Juniper could fill your requirements??
    Juniper is very cute! Don't like it as much as Juno, but it could still get Juno as a nickname too, I suppose. Perhaps it might even grow on us :)
    Annie {TTC mid 2014}

Anybody else have any other advice?
    Annie {TTC mid 2014}