Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are there any other Anahi lovers out there?

I admit my tastes run much more French (although legitimately, I can find a large number of names I love in most European nationalities, seeing as though I love European things so much--the exception usually being Spanish. I find it so hard to love Spanish names!), but I discovered this one today and I think I might legitimately love it! I feel like (especially with such a large Latino population here in the US, and especially in my area) Anahi would have much less pronunciation problems than the similar Anais would? I've always admired Anais from afar, but I feel like it'd be an American pronunciation nightmare.

Admittedly, I'm sure my interest in it has everything to do with the little girl I came across wearing it--a spunky, spirited Ecuadorian nine-year-old who completely won my heart. Would Anahi work for an American girl with no ties to anything Spanish?

I like the idea of Anahi Felicity/Penelope, despite the rhymey endings. I'm not sure I'd use it--I'm just playing around with it a little.

I actually just heard the very similar Annahit on a TV show earlier today, and I was kind of surprised how much I liked it. Not something I would use personally, but still, rather lovely, as is Anahi. I think I prefer the look of Anahi, but the sound of Annahit. In addition to Spanish, Anahi is also Persian, so I don't think an Anahi necessarily has to be Hispanic, but it is a rather exotic name, so I picture it more on a girl with dark hair and eyes, rather than a blue-eyed blond.
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar and Catherine "Cate" Ophelia
    Future Daughters: Isobel "Zoe" Theophania, Veronica "Vera" Seraphine
    Future Sons: Alexander "Olek" Crispin/Leopold, Dominic "Nico" Valentine

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity

I'm not really sure how to say it - I originally thought a-NAH-HEE, but I guess you could be saying it more like anna-HYE? In all honestly I've never really known how to day Anais properly either (is it anna-ees? I once heard it on TV as ah-NAYS and it's been argued as 'an-AY-is on NB so I'm confused!)

It doesn't strike me as Spanish/Hispanic really (maybe it is, particularly in usage) but it's just one of those names that's kind of intriguing in a generic-exotic way, you know? I like the look of Anahi Penelope.

Do you like Ahava as well? It reminds me of Angharad for some reason too. Oh and I know an Armenian girl called Anahid (she spells it Anaheed in the UK) which I think is quite lovely.
    olivia, seventeen, obsessively maternal.

★ close to my heart / future darlings; ★
    Estella - Oona - Margaret - Imogen - Billie - Eilidh - Jemima
    Emmett - Eoghan - Wilf - Alec - Nicholas - William - Hugh

I much prefer Anais. In fact, I was going to suggest it when I saw the title. Anahi feels less Spanish/Persian to me and more like a type of sushi.

It's funny that you mention the pronunciation issues with Anais, because I've never encountered them before. I know a wonderful woman with the name, and people seem to get it right on the first try. This is strange to me, of course, since looking at it seems like it would cause problems.

@dovah - how does she say Anais? I've heard ah-NAY, ah-NAY-iss, ah-NIGH-iss, ah-NAYS, etc., and very rarely the proper French pronunciation with the diaeresis over the "I" (hence, ah-nah-EES). (Olivia, sort of like Annelise without the "L" in there.)

I had no idea it was Persian, as well, though!

Olivia, Anahi is pronounced ah-nah-EE. In Spanish, "H"s, as a rule, are silent (at least, I think. My Spanish is much less polished and knowledgeable than my French is!). As a rule, I prefer innocent and sweet to exotic and sexy, but there's something inherently appealing about Anahi for me, and I can almost see Anahi working on a regular blond-haired, blue-eyed spunky, happy, cheeky American girl. I'm not even sure why, but I like it a lot.

I was also tossing around the idea of Anahi Emilia, which I like a lot, too.

Ahava does intrigue me--is it Hebrew? It seems Hebrew. I like it, but I like some other similar-feeling names, like Adara and Adaya, more. I would love to use a Hebrew name; I just don't know that a daughter of mine could pull it off. (Although I'm not sure why; I'd be willing to name a daughter Anahi but not Ayelet?)