Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    A place in which i am king and you are all my precious underlings.....

Question Clementine and Penelope,why?

I honestly don't get the appeal of Clementine or Penelope. Clementine just sounds awkward, like something someone
    hurriedly gave their kid at the last second. Penelope-I just can't get over the 'pee', and it's like a confused combo of Penrose and Parthenope-both of which I don't like, either(although I like Penrose for a boy's mn). I get that both of these names have long histories, but that is literally the only reason I feel the would be appealing. Can someone please explain where the charm is? I don't see it. No offense to anyone of whom likes Clementine and Penelope, of course.

I don't mind Penelope but I can't defend it because I'm not exactly a fan

I love the sound of Clementine (and Clement, Chloe, Claire, Claude, etc). I love nature name; I live in Florida and clementines are everywhere. It feels warm and sweet, like a clementine. It's feels flexible; Clementine could be a prim & proper Belle or a rough & tumble tomboy.

Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Fox * Greer
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

I have Clementine on my short list, kinda like Penelope too but I'm not a fan of the -pee ending, so I guess I'll only answer for my beautiful Clementine.

I have Clemency on my list before Clementine. I love the meaning (mild, merciful). It's my absolute favourite virtue name and Clementine is such a lovely variant (I can say I love all Clement/Clemence names, for both girl and boy). I agree with nameberry's description, Clementine suggests peace and happiness, a lovely image. I know it's also an orange, but hey, what's wrong with an orange? I also like the song and the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind connection.

There are some wonderful nickname possibilities too. Clemmie is the most obvious one, of course, but in case you don't like it (I don't), there are Cleo/Clea, Lea (a stretch, I know, but that's the one I'm going to use if I ever have a daughter with this name), Emmie, Minty, Tina..

Clementine sounds very, very sweet. It doesn't sound awkward at all to me. I don't think it's something someone hurriedly gave their kid at the last second. I don't know you, but for me last second names tend to be something traditional, popular, or safe.
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Luca | Amias

I'm not a fan of Penelope, but I love Clementine! I think they both sort of have a princessy feel to them - obviously feminine, vintage-classic, regal sounding, it helps them quite a bit. Clementine is also a virtue name (sort of), meaning merciful, and I'm fairly certain that, like Mirabelle, the name came before the fruit (The idea of sisters named Mirabelle and Clementine really make me swoon!).

For me, Clementine, Penelope, Mirabelle, Beatrice, Harriet, Henrietta, Lucinda, Eleanor, Annabelle, etc all have a similar feel for me - royal sounding, yet versatile.

I really like how Elea from BBN explained the names on her Upright Elegance list (Clementine and Penelope are both on);

Top hats, waistcoats and taffeta gowns: elegant ladies and distinguished gentlemen. Here are the names that epitomise refined propriety.

They would all feel at home lighting the stage in an Oscar Wilde play, or gracing a rural stately home. In fact, stick "Lady" or "Lord" in front of any of them and they just roll easily off the tongue.

And while all these names bear a dignified elegance, they also have a solid and reassuring quality.

Here is the list: http://www.britishbabynames.com/blog...-elegance.html

Maybe seeing the names classed there will help you understand the appeal a bit better?
    “poetry, beauty, romance, love - these are what we stay alive for.”

currently under construction

http://delighfullydoris.blogspot.ca/

I love Clementine! It is the epitome of happiness! It is a sunny name. I'm neutral in Penelope.