Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tintri View Post
    We use cloth too. I was also skeptical at first, but had the advantage of watching my sister and BFF have good experiences with them. We use Sustainablebabyish snapless fitteds with covers, and so far - he's only 4 months - they work great! We do laundry every other night. Oh, and we also do cloth wipes. Extremely easy to make and keep up, and another great way to save money. BTW - both my husband and I work full time and have no problem keeping up with the cloth demands. Maybe it will be different when we add another kid or two, but for now, it's no trouble at all.

I've found that most people who've never been exposed to cloth look at me like I have two heads (much like I would have done a few years ago.) But the people who actually see the execution of cloth (day care, grandparents, friends) generally end up saying they wished they had done it with their kids. Love cloth!
    Yes! Fantastic! We use cloth wipes too that I made from old flannel and cotton shirts. For anyone interested there are also cheap cloth wipes on Amazon if you don't feel like sewing

Quote Originally Posted by zaelia View Post
    Three years ago when we were researching cloth diapers for our twins we found Kawai Baby. They were MUCH cheaper than the alternatives ($5-9 per diaper). We bought a few and liked them ok, but not as well as the bumgenius that we ultimately went with for our main stash. We also tried fuzzibunz and didn't like them. We liked our cloth wipes (cheap at Ikea in the baby section) much better than any of the disposable wipes we tried.

We have saved a TON of money and our diapers are still in great shape after 3 years of use. Planning to continue using them for our next little one, due in early december.
    Congrats on baby number three!

There are a few threads on here about cloth diapering, if anyone is interested.

We have been using cloth diapers for two and a half years now. We love them, and haven't actually seen any increase in utility bills. We wash diapers every other day.

We started out with the fancy pocket type (Fuzzi Bunz) but moved on to prefolds (just folded into thirds, no pins or snappis) and Thirsties covers. We vastly prefer the prefolds plus covers. They are so much easier to care for and work much better. This is also the much cheaper route, especially if you buy used.

We use the really cheap thin baby washcloths (the kind that are no good as washcloths) for wipes. I bought a couple of packs of these at Ross Dress For Less. We make diaper spray (water, a squirt of baby soap, a tiny bit of olive oil, and a tiny bit of witch hazel) and just spray it on the washcloths.

Quote Originally Posted by tintri View Post
    We use cloth too. I was also skeptical at first, but had the advantage of watching my sister and BFF have good experiences with them. We use Sustainablebabyish snapless fitteds with covers, and so far - he's only 4 months - they work great! We do laundry every other night. Oh, and we also do cloth wipes. Extremely easy to make and keep up, and another great way to save money. BTW - both my husband and I work full time and have no problem keeping up with the cloth demands. Maybe it will be different when we add another kid or two, but for now, it's no trouble at all.

I've found that most people who've never been exposed to cloth look at me like I have two heads (much like I would have done a few years ago.) But the people who actually see the execution of cloth (day care, grandparents, friends) generally end up saying they wished they had done it with their kids. Love cloth!
    Hey Tintri! I hope you're doing well and enjoying life with Raphael! We've started TTC, and I'm having fun putting the cart before the horse and thinking about baby paraphernalia. So tell me more about these snapless multifitteds - they look so pretty and soft. Love that they're one size fits all. I was thinking about doing wool covers with them, since they're breathable and seem to allow for more freedom of movement... Here are my questions: What kind of covers do you use? Did you get some of the snapless minis for when Raphael was smaller? Do you like using pins? Do you find that they're adequate for night (with an extra insert?) or would you advise getting a more substantial night diaper? Are they actually soft or do you have to do some kind of special laundry maneuver to keep them fluffy? I was toying with getting some of the velour snapless multifitteds, but it's a bit of a splurge and I'm not sure they'd be that much more comfortable than the regular multis (besides, do you want your kid to be THAT comfortable in a diaper? If I were wearing velvet next to my bottom all the time I'd never want to switch to cotton knickers.) They seem relatively trim to me - how do you feel about the fit? Also, how did you resist buying the super adorable/expensive OBFs with foxes and bears and rainbows, that will just get hidden under a cover anyway? Gah so cute! Ok thanks - sorry for all the questions. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by emmabobemma View Post
    Hey Tintri! I hope you're doing well and enjoying life with Raphael! We've started TTC, and I'm having fun putting the cart before the horse and thinking about baby paraphernalia. So tell me more about these snapless multifitteds - they look so pretty and soft. Love that they're one size fits all. I was thinking about doing wool covers with them, since they're breathable and seem to allow for more freedom of movement... Here are my questions: What kind of covers do you use? Did you get some of the snapless minis for when Raphael was smaller? Do you like using pins? Do you find that they're adequate for night (with an extra insert?) or would you advise getting a more substantial night diaper? Are they actually soft or do you have to do some kind of special laundry maneuver to keep them fluffy? I was toying with getting some of the velour snapless multifitteds, but it's a bit of a splurge and I'm not sure they'd be that much more comfortable than the regular multis (besides, do you want your kid to be THAT comfortable in a diaper? If I were wearing velvet next to my bottom all the time I'd never want to switch to cotton knickers.) They seem relatively trim to me - how do you feel about the fit? Also, how did you resist buying the super adorable/expensive OBFs with foxes and bears and rainbows, that will just get hidden under a cover anyway? Gah so cute! Ok thanks - sorry for all the questions. :-)
    Hi Emma! Best of luck on your TTC, and I'll answer all your questions the best I can.

Let me start by saying that we chose Sustainablebabyish because they had the most consistently high online ratings, and were raved about at the diaper store we went to. We chose the snapless of that brand because they were a good $10 cheaper per diaper, plus one size fits all (10 lbs and up.) We secure them with "snappis" which work great. (They come with pins, but I've never used one.)

I also was very interested in using wool at first, and even went so far as to purchase a bunch of old wool sweaters at Goodwill and make 2 wool covers with the help of an online tutorial. For me, (not a good seamstress,) it was a lot of work. We used them once or twice, but they just weren't a good fit for us. We now use 3 different types of covers: Grovia, Flip, and Sweet Pea. I used to like Grovia best, but now that Raphael is bigger, they tend to gap more in the thigh. Flips are quality and easily snapped on, but I'm also finding some gapping now that he's chubbier. The Sweet Peas have, surprisingly, been the best so far - (and are by far the cheapest!) They have a double leg gusset and fit like a dream. When we have more babies, I will likely buy only Sweet Pea covers from now on.

We did have a snapless Sbish mini when R was newborn, and it worked great! We used it with Sweet Pea newborn covers. SOOOO CUTE! We only had one Sbish mini, so we also used prefolds until R hit the 10 lb mark and we started using his regular sized diapers. The reason I didn't stock up on the minis is because they cost ALMOST as much as a full size diapers, and the babies only wear them for such a short amount of time that I couldn't justify that cost. But, it was nice to have that one. It was much less bulky than the prefolds and looked nicer when we went to church, to see friends, get pics taken, etc.

R is only 4 months, but so far we've never had a leak or blow out with the Sbish diapers and a good cover, even over night. And we only ever use one of the two inserts that comes with the diaper.

The diapers are VERY soft when new, but that softness does go away. We started out line drying our diapers (on a rack in the house with a fan on them,) to try to decrease general wear and tear. They got so stiff, we could literally stand them on end. Advice from online diaper forums and dude at the diaper shop was that throwing them in the dryer was the only solution for this, (as fabric softeners are a big no-no.) So now we do dry them. They are much softer than line-drying, but still lose their "like-new" softness over time. I can always tell when I'm handling a newer one, because it feels much softer than the rest. I don't know if the velour ones would have the same issue or not. They are so cute! (But very pricey, like you said.)

I won't lie, the diaper bulk is substantial at first (when the baby is little.) Much bulkier than disposables, but not as bulky as prefolds in my experience. R is now 16 lbs and his butt is still bulkier than his friends who wear disposables, but it doesn't look ridiculous (like it did when he was a newborn.) For a reference, at this point, he BARELY fits in his Bumbo with his cloth on. The bulk has never bothered us - we just laugh at his big bootie. And it helps to know we're saving money!

It is hard to resist buying all the cute stuff out there! To be honest, I did buy one cutsie diaper early on before he was born, purely out of pregnancy hormone excitement! It was a cute kissaluv, that now gets completely covered with a cover. I'd say that one diaper was worth it, basically as a personal splurge/pregnancy celebration. But I would say - for us - buying a bunch of those would be a waste of money. They cost more and you can't see them! Really, even cute covers are usually covered up by a onesie or pants, so you could get by going very minimal on prints and colors. That being said, I have some really cute ones! One thing that helped curtail any "over buying" was watching my BFF do just that. She had WAAAAY more covers than she could ever need, and they were always covered up with clothes. She even said she wasn't sure they had even saved that much money going cloth, because she had bought SO many expensive covers. That was sobering, and helped me be realistic when making diaper choices.

Hope that was helpful! We are - so far - very happy with the Sbish and Sweet Pea covers. I would say we could have easily done with the used prefolds that were given to us if we had not had a budget for pricier diapers. And if you don't live near a diaper store (the nearest one to us is 2.5 hours away,) I can speak very highly of Itsy Bitsy Bums. They are based in Kansas City and have an awesome online store. We have been to the actual store a few times. The staff is extremely knowledgable and helpful without being pushy. When we order online, the shipping is fast. Prices seem reasonable, and they have a nice selection of products. Also, you can set up an account and earn points to use towards discounts (and if you're buying a lot of diaper gear, those points add up fast!) Good luck, and keep us updated!
    Last edited by tintri; June 17th, 2014 at 11:58 PM.
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Eve, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora, Fawn
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Casper, Leopold