Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Amelia vs. Emilia

Hi all,

I like both these names a lot but each as some problems that I need to work through. Would love some input if you have some time!

Amelia
    Pros: I like this spelling enough. DH likes it better than with an E. nn Milly
    Cons: association with Amelia Bedilia. I can hear the taunts now. Does anyone else make that immediate association? Pretty common name and I'd like to find something less popular, but I do really like the name so I could get over this issue

Emilia
    Pros: I really like this spelling, nn Emmie or something similar. At least when spelled, no obvious Bedilia issue. Seems a little less popular than with an A.
    Cons: DH does not like the spelling. Obvious reference to region in Italy.

Thanks so much!

I used to prefer Amelia, but the more I see both names, especially side by side, the more I like Emilia. I think I'd go with the E spelling because:

-It's slightly less common
    -Shakespeare cred
    -You can use Milly/Millie and Emmy/Emmie (Emilia nn Milly actually makes more sense than Amelia nn Milly; "mil" vs. "mel")

I think you're going to hear Amelia Bedelia references regardless of which spelling you choose. Which isn't a bad thing; I can't really see kids using it to taunt an Amelia/Emilia. She's a beloved children's character whose only flaw is that she's kind of a ditz. A weak insult at best, and hardly the type of thing to be scarred for life over.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Thanks! Good points all. And yes I should have included the Shakespearean reference as a pro for sure. But yeah, the fact that Ameila B. is a bit of an an airhead is somewhat concerning. Boo. . . . But it is a book for preschoolers so hopefully any potential taunting would be limited to the early years.

I prefer Emilia.
    I also really like Amelia but to me they're different names with different pronunciations.
    And while this might not concern you at all, I try to go with the name/spelling that, when used internationally, sounds similar to my own pronunciation. In this case Emilia as Amelia is pronounced differently in most (European/South American) languages.
    I also prefer Emilia because I'm not a fan of the rather intuitive nickname Amy for Amelia- at all.
    Polly

currently loving

Arabella | Eloise | Ida | Leonor | Ophelia | Penelope | Rosalie

August | Caspar | Elliott | Oscar | Theo

Amelia! It is so lovely and classic. I don't get the move to Emilia. And what's do bad about Amelia Bedelia?