Names Searched Right Now:

Dutch names that work in England?

Hey berries!

So long story short, my wife is Dutch. When we got married she moved to England to be with me, so I thought a nice way of honouring her country would be to give our upcoming baby a Dutch name! I love the Dutch language and Dutch names, so I thought this would be easy, but I'm struggling, since the name obviously needs to work in England. I've looked through some lists of Dutch names, but so far the only possibility I've come across is Sanne (for a girl), and I'm not totally sure about that... the one thing I'm a real stickler about with names is that they have to be logical to pronounce (nobody could ever pronounce my name when reading it, when I was growing up, and it bugged me a lot) so a Dutch spelling of an English name isn't really appealing to me.

We don't know if the baby is a boy or a girl, either. So does anyone have any suggestions of Dutch names that wouldn't be totally cruel to give to an English kid?

Thanks!

I've made some rather long list and I hope that you can use some of them. I speak Danish (a little similar to Dutch when pronouncing words) so I might have an easier time saying some of these.

Female
    Agnes
    Albertina
    Amalia
    Amelia
    Anika // Annika
    Anneliese
    Bente
    Brigitta
    Carola
    Catharina
    Drika
    Edith
    Eleonora
    Elma
    Femke
    Fenna
    Florina
    Gertuida
    Hanna
    Ida
    Ima
    Isa
    Jana
    Jetta
    Johanna
    Karin
    Klasina
    Magda¨
    Mariska
    Marleen
    Myrthe
    Puck
    Rina
    Sabien
    Sterre
    Theresia
    Ursula
    Veer
    Wilma

Male
    Adam
    Arjan
    Benedictus
    Bernhard
    Casper
    Daan
    Elbert
    Erik
    Ernst
    Erwin
    Farbian
    Frederik
    Gilbert
    Gustaaf
    Herman
    Hubert
    Johan
    Jonas
    Kai
    Kevin
    Klaas
    Laurens
    Leonard
    Leopold
    Lieven
    Ludger
    Manfred
    Marcel
    Melchior
    Michel
    Olivier
    Otto
    Petrus
    Ruben
    Sander
    Simon
    Steffen
    Sven
    Wilbert
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Noah (29-5-10), Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~ Ianto Lior~

One of my favourite Dutch girls names is Saskia (the wife of artist Rembrandt). I knew a Dutch woman named Marieke which would be fine too. Other names that are used in the Neitherlands and which would work well in England are Anneke, Anouk, Beatrix, Catharina, Femke, Madelief, Hanna, Hendrika, Janneke, Petra, Sofie and Marlies. For a boy, there is Bram, Willem, Floris, Adriaan, Alfons, Bastiaan, Casper, Dirk, Fabian, Frans, Frederik, Gerrit, Hugo, Ivo, Vincent, Jakob, Justus, Karel, Marius, Pieter and Stefan.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Hi, I'm Dutch and this is actually rather a coincidence since I opened a thread last night or so asking about which Dutch names that I like would survive elsewhere and basically it was 'no don't do that' all around, so those names I suggested there won't work.

The one name that did seem to work was a girls name:
    Madelief

I'm a bit wary about certain English sites with Dutch names since they do not always seem to be a genuine representation of what Dutch names we actually give or even used to give our children here.

So what I think I can suggest, for girls:
    Anouk - it's supposed to be French apparently but since it really took off here since the 80s, so it's Dutch enough
    Bibi
    Carice - the main namesake is Dutch and it is a composed name in reality so that would make this name "Dutch"
    Esmée - not actually Dutch, but it has been a stable top 100 name for roughly 25 years now which means like with the name Anouk, it took off here first, also that double 'e' makes it look and sound Dutch
    Fenna - this one is truly Dutch and I don't think it is even possible to mess this one up, a bit like Emma in that sense.
    Noor - I've seen people suggest this on this forum, so this one should be fine?
    Ciska/Cisca
    Isabeau - both Isa and Beau are very popular here and also this combo of the two is in the top 500

If you want to make it really easy in terms of pronunciation and also truly Dutch and modern go with Fenna. I always see Saskia suggested but it's honestly dated beyond repair so I wouldn't be suprised if that's either your wife's name and that she would therefore not consider it (or totally consider it for that reason) or associate it with classmates or mothers of classmates.

Boys:
    Bram
    Casper/Jasper - claiming
    Floris
    Florian
    Lars/Niels - technically Scandinavian but have worked very well here so would feel very natural
    Rens
    Abel
    Bart - Simpsons but will feel Dutch
    Bas
    Dinand
    Menno
    Stef
    Twan
    Armin
    Sef
    Stefan
    Willem

In terms of boys names I think Floris and Willem are the easiest and most real Dutch picks.