Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    A place in which i am king and you are all my precious underlings.....

Welsh names, anyone?

As I have a fraction of Welsh heritage, I love Welsh names. My favorites are Lleulu and Glenys(and its alternate spellings). Some I love but only think may be Welsh include Gwyneira, Myfanwy, and Delyth. What about you? Do you love any Welsh names? If so, why?
    Last edited by amaya_moonrae; June 13th, 2014 at 10:45 PM.

Oh my word, I LOVE Welsh names and have some what of a fascination with them. I am a Linguist and have done a bit of work on Welsh and that is where I fell in love. I love the way they sound (when not butchered by people who simply don't know how to pronounce them, and let's face it, it's not easy) and the way most of them look. I suppose because I see them so often, and I know Welsh orthography to me they don't look so out there and completely unpronounceable.

Myfanwy is certainly Welsh, it means "my fine one" or "my dearest" (prn mee-VON-wee) and I also like the nn Myfi (MEE-vee) (f is prn as v, while ff is as f)

Gwyneira means "white snow" (in the order "Snow White" Gwyn/Gwen (Masculine (prn Gwin)/feminine (prn Gwen)) is white and eira means snow) it is prn gwin-EE-ra or in the south sometimes as gwin-AY-ra (If you want the gwen prn at the beginning, which is the feminine form, you should spell it as such Gweneira). Eirwen (prn AIR-wen) means the same thing just the components are swapped around.

Another nice snow name is Eirlys (AIR-lees) meaning snow drop.

Delyth (DEL-ith) means "pretty girl"

Lleulu is actually Lleucu, it means bright beloved/dear (lleu is bright or light in Old Welsh and Cu means dear or beloved) and pronounced (HLEE-kee or HLAY-kee). Lleulu would be (HLEE-lee or HLAY-lee or -li, u in Welsh is pronounced short as in i in bit, and long as i in machine)

I find that people just can't pronounce the ll correctly (try putting your tongue as if to say l and then trying to say h instead with a bit of a hiss added in and you may get close), and I much prefer it with the proper pronunciation. It is what would put me off ever using Llywelyn or Lloyd for my boys.

Glenys (GLEN-is) has a different prn to Glynys (GLIN-is). Glynys may also have a different meaning, where Glenys come from glan and means "Clean, pure, holy", Glynys may come from glyn which means valley.

My favourite Welsh names are:

Emrys (EM-ris)
    Llywelyn (hloo-EL-in)
    Rhydwyn (HRID-win)
    Elystan (el-ISS-tan)
    Meredudd (meh-RED-ith) (the dd is pronounced as the voiced th as in then, never the voiceless as in thin (that is represented as th))
    Myrddin (MIR-thin)

Aurddolen (air-THO-len)
    Arianrhod (ari-YAHN-hrod) (here, the first a is as in father, the second as in pat (long and then short)
    Eirianwen (eer-i-YAHN-wen)
    Hedydd (HAYD-ith)
    Ifanwy (ee-VON-wee)
    Seren (SEH-ren)

I also tend to prefer the Welsh spellings and pronunciation of other names Rhisiart (RHISH-art; Richard), Dafidd (DAV-ith; Daivd), Cennydd (KEN-ith; Kenneth), Sara (SAR-ah; Sarah), Alys (AH-lis; Alice), Fioled (vee-OL-ed; Violet).

Man, I really could just go on and on...
    Last edited by illabeth; June 14th, 2014 at 03:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    Robin - Arthur/Arthen - Llywelyn - Henry - Emrys - Caspian - Elystan - Rhydwyn

Persephone - Georgiana - Aurddolen - Hedydd - Edith - Artemis - Seren - Morgana

Well,well.

Ooh, I love your enthusiasm....it's adorable. Thank you for all the info, I only just recently found out I'm Welsh, so I'm still getting the hang of this rather confusing language. As for all those gorgeous names, can you tell me what they mean? Any namesakes or places? I would very much appreciate it. Also, if I were to change my name, what would you suggest(boy or girl)? Just any one of your preferences-with pronunciation and meaning, please.

Emrys (EM-ris) - the Welsh form of Ambrose, meaning "Immortal" (this was Merlin's second Welsh name)
    Llywelyn (hloo-EL-in) - is a compound name coming from evolving Lugubelinos, a compound of two Old British names for the Celtic gods Lugus and Belenus (the Celtic sun God). Due to the popular alternate spelling (Llewellyn) some people think it means "lion" as llew is the welsh word for lion. It became popular after Llywelyn the Great's rule (who had four lions on his coat of arms, a compounding of the "lion" meaning belief. If anything the name could have come to mean "leader" or "lion-like leader" after Llywelyn the Great.
    Rhydwyn (HRID-win) - means "white ford" Rhyd means ford and wyn from Gwyn which means white.
    Elystan (el-ISS-tan) - is a Welsh form of the Old English name Æthelstan who was King of the Anglo-Saxons (924-927) and King of the English (927-939)
    Meredudd (meh-RED-ith) (or Mareddyd) - means "great lord". iudd means lord and the first part (mere) is not 100% clear but is most often translated as great or splendid.
    Myrddin (MIR-thin) - possibly means "sea fort/fortress" or "sea hill" and is the Welsh form of Merlin (Anglicised). Môr is Welsh for sea (where as mor is a superlative almost like 'more') and din means "hill fort", it is most likely derived from these two elements.

Aurddolen (air-THO-len) - means "gold ring/link" Aur is gold and dolen means "ring; link; loop"
    Arianrhod (ari-YAHN-hrod) - means "silver wheel" arian means silver and rhod means wheel. She was a Welsh Goddess of the moon, time, reincarnation and beauty.
    Eirianwen (eer-i-YAHN-wen) - means "bright and blessed/ beautiful" eirian means "bright; beautiful" and wen is from Gwen(f) which means "white; blessed"
    Hedydd (HAYD-ith) - the Welsh word for "lark" ("skylark")
    Ifanwy (ee-VON-wee) - possibly means dear from annwyl. Ifanc is young in Welsh, but I don't think that has any real relation to this name (may also possibly be a feminine form of Ifan, which is a Welsh form of John)
    Seren (SEH-ren) - Welsh word for star

Welsh seems confusing on the surface, but it is almost a completely phonetic language and once you learn the rules, it's not so hard. You just have to get used to all the new sounds and how they are represented.

I'll gather a couple more for you if you'd like. Throw in some place names that would make nice given names.

As for changing you name, haha, that is a big task. Of the names listed above I think my favourite meaning combination is Eirianwen Seren (beautiful, bright star) but I'm not a fan of the assonance in the final syllable (the -en endings) (even though it's not the primary stress). So would possibly go with Eirianwen or Aurddolen Hedydd. As for boys, I'd probably go with Emrys Rhydwyn. If you tell me your name, I could try and come up with something similarish?
    Last edited by illabeth; June 14th, 2014 at 04:25 AM.
    Robin - Arthur/Arthen - Llywelyn - Henry - Emrys - Caspian - Elystan - Rhydwyn

Persephone - Georgiana - Aurddolen - Hedydd - Edith - Artemis - Seren - Morgana

Absloute thanks.

Ah, thank you. All these names are simply lovely-Welsh is a truly gorgeous language that deserves more attention.

Also, Welsh seems to have similarities to Japanese, if that has any relevance.

As of right now, my name is Amaya Moon-Rae Payne-which is nice, but I loathe due to bad connections with my father's side of the family. I will have two middle names, one of them Lucille, after my dear great-grandmother. I was originally going to keep Amaya as one of my middle names, so it'd be okay for my relatives to call me that. However, I dislike very much-it was ruined by both a celebrity and a very nasty girl I know. My surname is the main problem, since nearly any name I say with it sounds horrible. If paired cleverly, though, I bet it would sound badass as hell. I don't really care for flow with middle names, since I'm not going to introduce myself with my full name, am I?

Many thanks, dear!