Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names from The Graves, Part 1.

Thanks to my mother, I have had a bit of a morbid/creepy habit since I was little. I tend to go through the multiple graveyards by my home, and try to memorize/record all the interesting/nice combinations I see. The graveyard behind my house has been pretty well full since the 1990's, and the youngest person with a plot there, was born in 1942, so the names are somewhat historic.

I went through said graveyard this morning, and recorded the 767 names that I managed to read (many of the stones are over 125 years old, so quite a few are broken, difficult to read, etc). This is what I've found.

The following are more out there choices that stood out to me;

Velma
    Erland (brother of Eleanor Josephine)
    Dell
    Delia
    Rory
    Orton
    Lorne
    Lovina
    Euphemia
    Fannie
    Welford
    Lafayette (boy)
    Jannette
    Elma Amanda
    Lemuel
    Elgin
    Emery (boy)
    Baptist (boy)
    Service Alonzo
    Azuba
    Zillah
    Aurilla
    Augustus
    Angeline
    Florala
    Ilah (girl)
    Ezilpha
    Bradford
    Mary Aretta (went by Aretta)
    Belinda
    Almina
    Elmer
    Sutherland
    Lenna
    Dorcas
    Evva
    Bentley
    Adaliza
    Verna Marietta
    Ira
    Clare LaPierre (boy)
    Sarah Uella
    Reba Uella
    Basil
    Etoil
    Alvina
    Gregston
    Stanton
    Ellenor
    Jerusha
    Selen (g)
    Enoch
    Erastus
    Justus
    Hervey
    Albertha
    Horatio
    Hellen (more Hellen's than Helen's)
    Viola
    Ora
    Elcy
    Largare (g)
    Edda (b)
    Elda (g)
    Georganna
    Henreetta
    Elsy
    Celia
    Celinda
    Aledia
    Rosella
    Rex
    Seppie
    Jeanettie
    Florenline (b)
    Sophronia
    Minerva
    Nanetta
    Marilla
    Mary Lazella
    Almena
    Alvah (b)
    Letta
    Marietta
    Omri
    Rosamond

Winning Combinations (for me):

Martha Adelaide
    Frederick Arthur
    Clara Elizabeth Virtue (Virtue was her mother's maiden name)
    Isabella May
    Evelyn May
    Joseph Henry
    Mary Malvina
    Allie May
    Annie Sophia
    Eva May
    Martha Ellen
    Emery Ernest
    William Ernest
    Ethel Anna Olleada
    Christiana Emily
    Hattie Belle
    Mary Lucinda
    Hattie Sophia
    Mabel Henrietta
    Eleanor Josephine
    Ethel Beatrice
    Edward Blake
    Rosa Margaret
    Minnie Martha
    Elizabeth Amy
    Edith Maude
    Rosa Annie
    Harriett Cordelia
    Violet Irene

If anyone is curious in seeing the full lists, PM me and I can email them Hoping to do part 2 this weekend!
    Last edited by lawsonhaley; June 12th, 2014 at 11:40 PM.
    Girls: Amelia, Ava, Emily, Sophia, Ella, Freya, Charlotte, Millie, Eva, Florence, Matilda, Eleanor, Martha, Violet, Clara, Betsy, Mabel, Ada, Lillian, Minnie, Tillie, Doris, Edna

Boys: Harry, Charlie, William, George, James, Alfie, Joshua, Archie, Henry, Daniel, Edward, Harrison, Adam, Matthew, Michael, Liam, Callum, Louis, Albert, Andrew, Ernest, Darcy

~no matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world~

Basil, Lemuel, Minerva, Celia, Elsy (as Elsie- though the Elsy spelling is gorgeous), Augustus, Henrietta (nn Hettie, Etta, Ria, Ree or Henry), Alvah (as Alva), Hattie and Maude, Martha, Josephine, Mabel, Harriet and Arthur are all on my current list.

I haven't heard of Nanetta before- I adore Nanette and Nan / Nanna, and I think Nanetta is beautiful (on the list she goes). I also have a cousin named Bentley!

Great list- I would definitely like to see more. I find graveyards very peaceful, much like a cathedral, so I completely understand your habit .
    Momo Flora
    Dossie Roland

Name List:http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846712

I love cemeteries, honestly. You never know what antique gems you'll uncover. Azuba! Ezilpha! Florala is interesting to see because I always thought it was unique to the little town on the Alabama-Florida border (flor from Florida, ala from Alabama). Guess not. Martha Adelaide, Frederick Arthur, Clara Elizabeth Virtue, Joseph Henry, Christiana Emily... so many lovely choices!
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by southern.maple View Post
    I love cemeteries, honestly. You never know what antique gems you'll uncover. Azuba! Ezilpha! Florala is interesting to see because I always thought it was unique to the little town on the Alabama-Florida border (flor from Florida, ala from Alabama). Guess not. Martha Adelaide, Frederick Arthur, Clara Elizabeth Virtue, Joseph Henry, Christiana Emily... so many lovely choices!
    My mum has now made it her summer mission to get me around to all our local ones Today I was in the city near me, so the names were a bit more unique, because a lot more immigration occurred to the city, rather than the country, haha.We ended up finding a Cathaline and Sophema. Not to mention about 4 Effie's, a Bessie Beatrice, a Fergus Isabella, and an Eva Matilda Florala I think was made up by the family, but it's impossible to tell, she passed away in 1883 as an infant. I can assume her middle name was Isabella, as that was her grandmother's name(a family plot, with 3 generations on it), and she is listed as Florala I. Smith. I found an Ethel Eleanor when I took a second glance at a website I found. A local resident added records for all the cemeteries where I live in 2007, so just about all of the names are listed there.
    Girls: Amelia, Ava, Emily, Sophia, Ella, Freya, Charlotte, Millie, Eva, Florence, Matilda, Eleanor, Martha, Violet, Clara, Betsy, Mabel, Ada, Lillian, Minnie, Tillie, Doris, Edna

Boys: Harry, Charlie, William, George, James, Alfie, Joshua, Archie, Henry, Daniel, Edward, Harrison, Adam, Matthew, Michael, Liam, Callum, Louis, Albert, Andrew, Ernest, Darcy

~no matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world~

I'm trying to find out where Ezilpha came from. Zilpha is a variant of Zilpah, but how did the "e" get stuck on the front?
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline