Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Norse Heroine Main Character Names??

Dear fellow Berries:

I am writing a novel series about a teenage girl who discovers that she is a descendant from a very important ancient family from Norway who have been given the ability to fight spiritual battles in wolf-form (yes, like the animal). Through her quest to find more about herself and her family, she ends up saving the entire "wolf warrior" population. (This is not a Sci-Fi type story, it's actually based on the story of Fenrir in Old Norse Mythology.)

I am having some trouble coming up with a name for my main character. She will be a beautiful, feisty blonde character with Scandinavian blood. The name doesn't have to actually be Norse or Scandinavian in nature, but would be a nice touch. I want a name that is not hard to pronounce, but is distinct & feminine. I am most attracted to 2 syllable names, but have an open mind.

I originally called my main character Thea - but I've selfishly fallen in love with the name and want to be able to use it for my own daughter someday, so I've found myself back at the drawing board.

Here are some of the names that I love but I'm not sure if they are right for my character:

Cleo
    Natalie
    Isis
    Chloe
    Amelia
    Haven
    Kyra
    Nile
    Lavinia
    Davina
    Sasha

Please give me your opinion on the names I have listed & please give me some of your thoughts!
    Thanks in advance

Momo Flora
    Dossie Roland

Name List:http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846712

Of the ones from your list, I like Isis and Cleo the most. They have the right attitude to me.

My first thought is perhaps a little predictable but very fitting all the same, Ylva. Ylva means 'she-wolf' and is a name of Nordic origins.

I really like the suggested Dagny as well, it means 'new day' and feels very right for your character.

Another suggestion I'd like to make is Siri or Sigrid. Siri is a short form of Sigrid, both mean 'beauty and victory'. Siri has the added bonus of being the Kiswahili word for 'secret'. I know Siri is the Apple-lady helper thing (what is she?), but I think the connection is a fading one. And the name would be perfect!

I also think a lot of Finnish names would be suitable, Lumi (snow), Suvi (summer), Valo (light) and Vieno (gentle) are my favourites, and I'm very fascinated by Toivoa (hope).

Other Nordic suggestions:
    Thora / Tora (thunder)
    Liv / Olivia or Olive nn Liv (Liv means 'life')
    Eira ('healing', also Welsh for 'snow')

Non Nordic names I think would fit:
    Alma (nourishing/soul, always felt very fiery to me)
    Jane
    Tessa
    Inés
    Juno
    Mara
    Ruth
    Luna
    Mercy
    Briar
    Eve
    Reina
    Rowan
    Vesper / Esther
    Vida
    Pilar
    Isobel
    Elowen
    Felicity (goes by Felix)
    Delia
    Clare
    Ann
    Åshild / Norwegian / 24 / Name Collector / Work: Daycare and the Library / Love to bake, read and listen to music

Emerence + Eulalie + Everild + Flora + Helena + Leonor + Louisa + Nimue + Ophelia + Rosalind
    Balthasar + Edmund + Emmanuel + Emrys + Ignatius + Isidor + Leonidas + Oberon + Valentine

Want to help me with my lists?
    GIRLS
    BOYS

Bloom + Blythe + Evening + Mercy + Vesper + Briar + Boone + Forest + Hawthorn + Prosper

Wonderful input! Thank you so much for the thoughtful responses. So far my favorites of the suggestions are:

Viveca
    Dagny
    Ylva
    Siri
    Olivia (Olive for nn)
    Tessa
    Briar
    Tora
    Alma

Thanks again!!

Dagny sounds perfect. Meaning new day, possibly suggesting a bright future and constantly discovering new things