Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just Chris?

Just Chris?

What is your opinion of just using Chris as a first name as opposed to Christopher? While I am not expecting, it is a name that my SO and I very much love but we would want to use Chris only.

I am having a hard time finding a middle name that flows well without comparing it to Christopher. Last name is three syllables.

Well, it's not something I would do. I know that personally, when I meet someone who introduces themselves with a common diminutive, I assume they have the full name officially. So if I met a Rob I would assume that his "real" name was Robert, if I met a Liz I would assume that she was an Elizabeth. I think people would assume that Chris is either Christopher or Christian on his birth certificate - they would probably ask him which it was short for. He might get tired of being "just Chris" and having to explain it.

Other than that, it's just nice to have a formal name for formal usage - to put on your university degree, or to use in your professional life, for example. Chris is a nice name for day to day use, but it looks a bit informal for certain situations. On the other hand, Chris certainly has more gravity than, say, Alfie, so it's not the worst 'nickname name'.
    Emil - Ingimar - Kjartan - Matthías - Óskar - Róbert

Elísabet - Elva - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa

Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    Well, it's not something I would do. I know that personally, when I meet someone who introduces themselves with a common diminutive, I assume they have the full name officially. So if I met a Rob I would assume that his "real" name was Robert, if I met a Liz I would assume that she was an Elizabeth. I think people would assume that Chris is either Christopher or Christian on his birth certificate - they would probably ask him which it was short for. He might get tired of being "just Chris" and having to explain it.

Other than that, it's just nice to have a formal name for formal usage - to put on your university degree, or to use in your professional life, for example. Chris is a nice name for day to day use, but it looks a bit informal for certain situations. On the other hand, Chris certainly has more gravity than, say, Alfie, so it's not the worst 'nickname name'.
    I agree with this.
    My Little Misses :: Lorraine Alice "Lori" ~ Rosemary Christine "Romy"
    His Little Misses :: Lorraine ~ Patricia

My Little Gents :: David Walter ~ Aubrey Mark ~ Warren Keith ~ Maverick Jon "Mav" ~ Gideon Robert
    His Little Gents :: David Walter ~ Jack ~ Apollo

Visit my blog: www.babynameseveryday.blogspot.com

I think it is fine- Chris isn't my cup of tea, but it is a lovely name, and I think it stands well on its own. If he really doesn't like it, he can always use Christopher, Christian, Kristoff or Christos. This is exactly what my mum does- her name is Ann, and she hates it, so she calls herself Annie or Annabelle and has been doing so since she was about 6. Chris does have a nice genial, benevolent feel to it- very friendly.
    Momo Flora
    Dossie Roland

Name List:http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846712

I think it's fine. I have a nickname name myself and it's very occasional that someone asks me what my "real name" is and it's not that annoying.
    Previous account: elrock13