Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Too close for brothers?

DH and I have decided to take the plunge... we are trying for baby #2 this summer! We both fell in love with the name Angus a few months ago, and as I am hoping for another boy, I thought I'd ask for your valuable input.
    Pros for Angus: an awesome meaning, it fits with our agrarian lifestyle, and is rather uncommon without being unheard of
    Cons: Ends with "s" like Travis, starts with "A" like our two favorite girls' names (DH'd like to avoid repeating initials), and has that beef connotation...
    So what do the berries think? I'm looking for general impressions of the name Angus, opinions on our (hypothetical) sibset, other suggestions, and anything else you want to throw at us! Thanks!
    Mommy to Travis Nevin and Baby #2 is due first week of April 2015
    Future Sons: Angus Loudon ...or... Harvey Leonhard ...or... Jethro Blaise
    Future Daughters: Ada Katherine "Ada Kate" ...or... Tessa Charlotte ...or... Florence Imogen

I'm not a big fan of Angus personally, just NMS. But I also don't like the similar endings with Travis and Angus. I do like the other names in your signature, Harvey and Jethro.

Angus isn't my style, but I don't think it's too similar to Travis. Travis and Angus, Angus and Ada, Angus and Amity... none of those sound bad to me. I would rather see you use Harvey or Jethro though. Travis has that hickster vibe going for it like Jethro and Harvey (especially Jethro), whereas Angus is overwhelmingly Scottish. I think Jethro Blaise would be my pick for a second boy.

(In case you don't know what hickster means, it's basically just the country hicks' version of hipster. Names like Jethro, Hiram, Mabel... country bumpkin type names that are so uncool they're cool again.)
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

To me, they are not too close but different in styles. I like Angus though, it makes me think of Angus Young.
    ● Olympia ● Literature Student ● Arts geek

Constance AmySibyl HelenaTabithaEmmeline Twila Liv
    Phineas Rupert Otis Grover Casimir Nathaniel Ignatius Robin

Travis and Angus are very different styles to me. Travis is very 1980s, and makes me think of Travis Tritt and the British band. Angus makes me think of a redneck (sorry), and beef. My #1 association is beef. I don't think they're at all similar, except for the S.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina