Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

negative reactions to your name choices...

Today at work we were talking about names and I said I love Morgan and Avery for boys and that's what I would love to name any future sons. The immediate reaction I get: "Morgan? Avery? Those are totally GIRLS names!" Of course I rebuttal with how they were originally boy names etc but now I think that that negative reaction is what I will always receive and honestly I'm kinda questioning my name choices. I get a lot of positive feedback here regarding my names but that's because we are all name nerds and know they are boy names. Those who aren't name obsessed (majority of the general public)usually won't know that. So I guess after all that rambling what I'm asking is this: how do you guys deal with negative reactions to your name choices? Does it ever sway you on your choices? Should the opinions of non-names obsessed people even be considered? I usually don't care too much about what others think but names are pretty personal to me so this reaction today really got me thinking and requestioning my names... :/

Sorry for so much rambling. All honest opinions and thoughts greatly appreciated!
    boys
    -Morgan Zachary 'Mack'-Avery Glen-Grant Thomas-Rory Kevin-
    -Cameron 'Cam'-Callan-Ian-Isaac-Jonah-

girls
    -Lucy Josephine-Josephine Lucille 'Josie'-Emilia Margaret 'Mila'-
    -Gemma- Miranda-Audrey-Stella-Norah-

If I love a name, I don't care what non-family thinks about it. If I listened to those people I would probably feel compelled to name my future daughters Madison/Addison and the boys Aiden. You shouldn't question the names you like or your naming style; there will never be a name that is loved by all people and if you like something, you like it. To be honest, your name choices are not out there at all to me and I'm not even the type that would go for really out there names. Be who you are, name style and all.

Just ignore people. Avery and Morgan are a couple of my favorite boys names.

I don't think it matters too much what others think, you're never going to find a name that everyone loves so all you can do is use names that you love. For what it's worth, I think Avery and Morgan are great names for boys and I love the combos in your sig, Morgan Zachary and Avery Glen are brilliant!
    Annie, a name obsessed teenager

My future princesses: Myrna Beatrix Blythe, Nora Katharina Bonnie, Virginia Sigrid Isla, Laura Cecelia Greer, Mathilda Esmée Ziva, Rosalie Frances Lux and Amelia Lucille Claudette

My future princes: Henry Oliver/August, William Horatio, Anthony Clement, Edward Oisín and James Alaric

In the end, the only people who need to be happy with your name choices, are you and your SO. And I agree with the other pps, ignoring negative reactions is usually the best policy, and I've found that's a lot easier to do with names I love. Both Morgan and Avery are brilliant names, and okay, I am a name nerd now, but I've always seen them as really masculine.
    Wholocked, history and chemistry loving teenberry (16).
    Hoping to be a mummy in the very distant future. Dreaming of...
    ♥ Pandora Valencia Fae ♥ Evanthe Lyra Annabeth ♥
    Little Misses
    ♡ Caspian Sherlock Walter ♡ Phoenix Arthur Blaise ♡
    Mister Men

"'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."
    Mycroft Holmes | Sherlock (BBC) | His Last Vow