Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vasilisa View Post
    I don't care for it, sorry. To me it's one of the drab names that were ubiquitous when I was growing up, along with Lisa/Kristen/Kirsten/Jennifer/Sarah. As tired as I get of the current crop of popular names, many of them are at least prettier than the names my contemporaries had.
    I think I still prefer those over Sophia, Isabella, Emma etc which sound kind of prissy to me. But to each their own

Megan, Caitlin, and Erin are three of the names from when I was growing up that I'd happily still use. It's probably not coincidence that all three end in that rounded -n sound, and two are softened versions of Ultra-Classics (And fwiw, I prefer Megan to Margaret, though Margaret is undeniably evergreen classic).

Megan is just very simple and sweet without being ruffled.

Meghan looks messy and contrived to me though, sorry. I don't care for it or Maegan or any of those, they all look wrong to me. I can't do Caitlin with a K or y in it either, you might say I am stuck in my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by vasilisa View Post
    I don't care for it, sorry. To me it's one of the drab names that were ubiquitous when I was growing up, along with Lisa/Kristen/Kirsten/Jennifer/Sarah. As tired as I get of the current crop of popular names, many of them are at least prettier than the names my contemporaries had.
    I agree. The "mom names" for our generation of kids will be things like Jennifer, Kristen, Kelly, and.... Megan. For sure. Having a mom name isn't the worst fate in the world, but I think it is best to avoid the trendy names of the previous generation unless they are being used for meaningful reasons.
    Lilibeth Pearl - Odette Lysandra - Allegra Snow - Zinnia Ophélie - Hera Magdalen
    Emery Lawrence - Viggo Augusten - Johan Irving - Anders Maël - Jules Quincy - Magnus Luther

I think if you really want to honour your heritage then you'd also respect it by using the original spelling. Megan's all right. It's dated now and NMS but I can stand it (and Meg is a great nn.) Stick with the original- it's fine as it is!
    Last edited by charlieandperry1; July 26th, 2014 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oliviasarah View Post
    I've always liked Megan a lot, but I think it sounds absolutely gorgeous the traditional Welsh way, where it's meh-GAN
    I don't know if it is :/

http://www.namenerds.com/welsh/trad1.html

I can almost hear what you're trying to describe if I think of it in a Welsh accent. More like 'mEH-gan' with a longer more emphasised 'eh' but 'meh-GAN' to me reads like the pronunciation from the Renault car adverts for their Megane in which they say 'meh-GANNE'.

But then, even here:

http://www.forvo.com/search/megan/cy/

She seems to be putting the same amount of emphasis on both syllables, so... I'm not sure.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!