Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How do YOU pronounce Margaret?

Crowdsourcing here.

Do you say it:

Mar-ga-ret with a short E sound like net,

or do you say

Mar-grit, like pit.

Also, what are your opinions of the name in general? Favorite nickname option?

Thanks!

My name is Margaret, and I pronounce it the first way, which is so much prettier than Mar-grit. I quite like it, because it's classic, timeless, and has a ton of cute nicknames. My husband calls me Margo in private, but most of the time I'm Meg, after the character in my mom's favorite childhood book, Little Women. However, I also think Maggie is really sweet, and Daisy is fun twist, although most people probably wouldn't get the connection without explanation.
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar, and expecting Catherine "Cate" Ophelia in September 2014!
    Future Daughters: Isobel "Zoe" Theophania, Veronica "Vera" Seraphine
    Future Sons: Alexander "Olek" Crispin/Leopold, Dominic "Nico" Valentine

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity

I say "Mar-g-ret". But that could be because my "g" sounds are always very enunciated because of the way I talk.
    Valerie. 25. Texas. Lover of words and monikers. TTC late fall 2014.

Favorite girl names:
    Lydia Rose, Violet Simone, Vivienne Claire, Aurora Juliet
    Guilty Pleasures/Crushes/Other:
    Lucienna nn Luna, Sienna, Azalea, Astrid, Eleanora nn Nora, Marcheline nn Ellie

Favorite boy names:
    Roman Alexander, Atticus Henry
    Guilty Pleasures/Crushes/Other:
    Luca, Judas nn Jude, Andreas, Hector, Ivan, August, Julian, Julius, Henry, Micah

I say MAR-gruht and didn't know that there was another way to pronounce it!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel---------------------------------------------Recent Fancies: Hamish Idris February & Vivian Tamsin Blythe

I definitely pronounce it closer to "Mar-grit", but sometimes more like "Mar-guhrit" with an extra half syllable "uh" thrown into there. So 2 or 2.5 syllables at most. And it hardly makes a difference; they sound almost identical. I've heard both I think, but never three fully pronounced syllables.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy