Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    For me, "love it but can't use it" names are ones that are way, way too popular (I love Sophia, but it's too high on the list), or that have bad references for me, or just make me laugh. (Herman, for instance--anyone remember Herman the worman, who wouldn't stop squirmin'?)
    ~Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est. Congregavit nos in unum Christi amor~

Cecilia Lucy Fionnuala Brigid Kathleen Sophie Kelly Niamh
    Nora Beatrice Genevieve Eilidh Juliet Sylvie Fleur

Dominic Paul Austin John Emmet Seamus Benedict
    Vincent George Peter Leo Eamon Hugh

Considering changing my user name to Niamh_Roma...
    ...My signature changes all the time.

My "Names I love but..." list exists because there are names I adore but either can't picture giving them to an actual child for a variety of reasons or my darling partner has vetoed them. Some of this list do exist as middle names in my actual list but I won't/am not allowed to use them as first names.

My "Names I love but..." list:

Amiko
    Azalea
    Cleo
    Lark
    Mei
    Nova
    Persephone
    Saskia
    Vesper
    Ysabel

Ash
    Axel
    Briar
    Caspar
    Emrys
    Ezio
    Griffin
    Leonidas
    Milo
    Nemo
    Peregrine
    Raoul
    Sherlock
    Name lover & Engaged to a wonderful man

Lilith - Vesper - Francesca - Lark - Viola - Naomi - Eloise - Layla - Amy - Phoebe - Freya
    Zachary - Alexander - Tristan - George - Axel - Dominic - Loki - Malachi- Rowan - Harvey - Griffin

Bunny names:
    M: Banjo, Chewbacca
    F: Kairi, Pika
    Uni: Bantha, Domino, Tadpole

My blog: http://thereviewinators.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by senseandsensibility View Post
    Oh I totally get your point! I'm not Norwegian but I know how baby naming works in other countries than US where obviously policies are more strict. I have dual citizenship - I am both Polish and American. BUT if I were only Polish I'd have to stick only to Polish variations of names - so I could not name my potential child Frances but Franciszka, or Katherine but Katarzyna. Just as I like names from other cultures, for example Spanish names such as Vega or Estrella, but I have no connections to Spain, so I highly doubt to use such names in reality.

Other side of the medal for me is that I could potentially use English or even French names as my American part of the family would be happy with it; and I can still convert most of the names into Polish so my other half of the family would be happy, and the society wouldn't be so shocked by my name choices so I'd avoid raising a scandal.
    Other points for having 'love it but wouldn't use it' lists can possibly be reality - I am not going to have four of five or ten children, I'd be happy having even one (or two or three). So that's one -to- three times chance for naming a child and using a name. And we, name nerds, would not stick to one-to-three chances to use a name
    For example, I love name Jasmine (and its other spellings, which is rare) but because I have a bunch of other names with deeper meaning to me, I'd never use it in reality.
    Thank you! It's not really that the policies are strict, but Norway is really small, few names are in circulation and anything unusual or new is usually due to immigration, and unusual and new stands out! If I had a blonde, blue-eyed, full-blood Norwegian boy and named him Iskandar, that would be the talk of the town. Everyone would have an opinion. It's not really the kind of reaction I want the name I love, and have given to my boy out of love to 'inspire'.
    I'm lucky to have a seriously open-minded and respectful mother, she'll fight for my decisions even if she disagrees completely, she'll even support me. And she is also interested in names and positive to many of the unusual choices I mention (Emrys, Tessa and Verbena were all ok for her, she actually said she liked Verbena better in Norwegian than English!).
    My dad on the other hand struggles with any language not his own, so I would have to use something pronouncable and still beautiful in Norwegian. (He's also against middle names, but I'm probably going to blatantly disregard his feelings about that).

I agree about how all 'real' short lists would be comlete with 5 names for each gender if we all really considered it. Not having more feels very wrong though! ^^
    Last edited by dearest; June 4th, 2014 at 04:55 PM.
    Åshild / Norwegian / 24 / Name Collector / Work: Daycare and the Library / Love to bake, read and listen to music

Maeva + Eulalie + Rosalind + Emerence + Saskia + Everild + Nimue + Anaïs + Ophelia + Lileas + Helena + Rixende
    Balthasar + Leonidas + Isidor + Philo + Alasdair + Edmund + Iskandar + Ignatius + Valentine + Emmanuel + Emrys

Mercy + Bloom + Evening + Blythe + Prosper + Briar + Boone + Hawthorn

It's the tug between the Name Enthusiast and the real, embodied person. The real person has a real partner, a real surname, and potentially real siblings to deal with. The real baby will live in one place and speak one (probably) language and have one religious or ethnic identity.

But the Name Enthusiast has no such constraints.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

I have a long list of those names too. I call them "a list I'll consider if only my future husband wants to use it" lol. Then again, I refuse to make a fix top 5 or 10, so I have "short list", "long list", "GP list" and this "additional list".

Here's some of mine:
    Aurora
    Isis
    Vivienne
    Florence
    Elena/Selena (love these names, but I already chose Helena for my short list)
    Belinda/Melinda
    Chloe
    Amelie
    Viola (mainly because I have Violetta on my short list)
    Celia
    Cecelia
    Bianca
    Zara
    Heidi
    Liesl

Levi
    Archer
    Aidan
    Leo (I prefer Leona or Leonore/a for a girl)
    Gideon
    Nathan
    Micah
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Luca | Amias