Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Separate the wheat from the chaff, boys' edition

NOT PREGNANT. Not pregnant. Not pregnant.

Now that that's out of the way, once I return to the dungeons of the hospital in three weeks I'll be scarce round these parts. And since I'm always thinking about names I'd like to whittle down my list for a future bladechka someday. I have two kids whose names are linked to each other by a 'classical' connection (Antonius & Cassius being old Roman gens names stolen from the Greeks, and more importantly for my purposes, Orthodox saint's names).

The main thing I am searching for is for the name to be relatable and realistic even if it's unfamiliar. Namesakes and history are extremely important to me but sometimes I need a bit of grounding to know what's truly usable.

I also don't want the name to be too similar phonetically to either Antoine or Cassia.

So, thoughts on the usability & fit of the following (suggestions welcome too since the boys' list is small!):

Blaise
    Cyprian
    Evander
    Laurence
    Lionel
    Lucian
    Malcolm
    Marius
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Somewhere along the banks of the mighty Columbia
    I think they're all usable, with the possible/probable exception of Cyprian. I'm not really a fan of Laurence (though I prefer it to Lawrence) or Blaise. With Lucian I think you'll have some of the same pronunciation issues as you do with Cassia (Cash-a & Loo-see-an? Loo-shun & Cass-ee-a?). Not that big of a deal, but maybe kind of a drag. I think any of the rest of them would be great with Antoine and Cassia. I personally love Lionel, but I think my favorite with your other kids is Malcolm.
    Trying, trying, trying

Current favorites:
    Boy: Asa Guillaume, Barnaby August
    Girl: Apolline Iris- Polly, Clothilde Juno- Chloe

That's a really good point about the contradictory pronunciation of Lucian! Thanks! (Cyprian is my favorite name but I really fear my husband thinks it's too odd).
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Somewhere along the banks of the mighty Columbia
    I think Cyprian is a great name, just a little fanciful for the general American public. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Trying, trying, trying

Current favorites:
    Boy: Asa Guillaume, Barnaby August
    Girl: Apolline Iris- Polly, Clothilde Juno- Chloe

I absolutely love Evander and Lucian with your other names!
    I really can't decide what I like better. Evander may win just because what the PP said about pronunciation issues but I don't think it would be that big a problem.
    Ladies: Lucy Josephine, Emilia Margaret, Audrey Lucille

Gentleman: Morgan Zachary, Gavin Thomas, Rory Glen