Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How do you pronounce Violet?

I notice as I share my current favored baby name of Violet, some people say the o more pronounced than others..... I personally say a soft o like in Olive.... not Olivia.

What do you say?

I say it like "v-eye-let" but some people do pronounce it "vee-oh-let" which is usually a nn for Violetta.
    Valerie. 25. Texas. Lover of words and monikers. TTC late fall 2014.

Favorite girl names:
    Lydia Rose, Violet Simone, Vivienne Claire, Aurora Juliet
    Guilty Pleasures/Crushes/Other:
    Lucienna nn Luna, Sienna, Azalea, Astrid, Eleanora nn Nora, Marcheline nn Ellie

Favorite boy names:
    Roman Alexander, Atticus Henry
    Guilty Pleasures/Crushes/Other:
    Luca, Judas nn Jude, Andreas, Hector, Ivan, August, Julian, Julius, Henry, Micah

Vy-oh-let. Similar to the O in Olive I guess? Then again, I say the O in Olive and Olivia the same way. Long o sound, but quick and short.
    "While some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled; miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves; what a concept"

Vie-let. But when you say that you can still hear a slight O. I'd say it's 97 percent almost the same and definitely interchangeable.

I pronounce it veye-let.