Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I think Viviane looks very pretty, but I would pronounce it more like vi-vee-ANNE. Vivienne is my favorite, I'm not a big fan of Vivian or Vivien.

Audrey Cora Esme Fiona Hazel Margot Matilda Phoebe Sylvie Zara

Archer Cormac Everett Jasper Leo Lucian Matteo Milo Rhys Theo

Viviane and Vivienne are not pronounced the same as Vivian, unless they are being mispronounced.

Viviane is somewhere in between Vi-vee-AHNE and Vi-vee-AHN. Vivienne is Vivi-ENNE. I don't mean to be rude (really, I don't - english is not my first language, so I don't always get the "tone" right, specially online), but I don't see the point of using a international variation of a name if you're not planning to keep its traditional pronunciation. It seems a little pointless to me - why use a traditional french name if you're not saying it the french way when you can just use a standard variation of your country and get it pronounced the way you want? Unless the variation is meaningful (e.g being a nod to one's french heritage) and is being pronounced properly, I think it is a bit unnecessary.

That said, Vivienne looks frilly and somewhat trendy to me - very Jolie-Pitt - while Vivian/Vivien looks classier and pared-down. I like Viviane better than Vivienne, though, but I think there would be pronunciation issues with this one.

Caroline. 22 year old from Brazil.

____ _ _ __Clara Genevieve | Louisa Peridot | Lydia Primrose | Vivian Lark | Marina Beatrix
    ____Henry Vale | Thomas Fox | James Valentine | Theodore Leaf | Alexander Tadhg

The only thing I don't like about the spelling Viviane is it makes me want to pronounce it viv-ee-AY-n because usually words or names that end in "ane" have hard "ay" sounds. Which, I think is the whole reason people add an "n" or take away an "e" because it softens sounds. I think Vivian would be better, personally...
    Last edited by vofarrell26; May 28th, 2014 at 12:19 PM.
    Valerie. 25. Texas. Lover of words and monikers. TTC late fall 2014.

Favorite girl names:
    Lydia Rose, Violet Simone, Vivienne Claire, Aurora Juliet
    Guilty Pleasures/Crushes/Other:
    Lucienna nn Luna, Sienna, Azalea, Astrid, Eleanora nn Nora, Marcheline nn Ellie

Favorite boy names:
    Roman Alexander, Atticus Henry
    Guilty Pleasures/Crushes/Other:
    Luca, Judas nn Jude, Andreas, Hector, Ivan, August, Julian, Julius, Henry, Micah

Quote Originally Posted by carolinemchd View Post
    Viviane and Vivienne are not pronounced the same as Vivian, unless they are being mispronounced.

Viviane is somewhere in between Vi-vee-AHNE and Vi-vee-AHN. Vivienne is Vivi-ENNE. I don't mean to be rude (really, I don't - english is not my first language, so I don't always get the "tone" right, specially online), but I don't see the point of using a international variation of a name if you're not planning to keep its traditional pronunciation. It seems a little pointless to me - why use a traditional french name if you're not saying it the french way when you can just use a standard variation of your country and get it pronounced the way you want? Unless the variation is meaningful (e.g being a nod to one's french heritage) and is being pronounced properly, I think it is a bit unnecessary.

That said, Vivienne looks frilly and somewhat trendy to me - very Jolie-Pitt - while Vivian/Vivien looks classier and pared-down. I like Viviane better than Vivienne, though, but I think there would be pronunciation issues with this one.

I actually would love to use the traditional pronunciation of Viviane. There are lots of French speakers around here so I think we could get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by vofarrell26 View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the spelling Viviane is it makes me want to pronounce it viv-ee-AY-n because usually words or names that end in "ane" have hard "ay" sounds. Which, I think is the whole reason people add an "n" or take away an "e" because it softens sounds. I think Vivian would be better, personally...
    I'm considering Vivian too , for that reason. Visually though, for some reason, there's just something about Viviane that I find very appealing.