Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Our Baby Boy came early at 33weeks. please help with name.

I am new to this forum. Just found this website and I like it a lot. I have started lurking around in search of a name for our boy but running out of time since everything came quick and unexpected yesterday.

I like Liam a lot but it seems to be very popular. I would prefer more unique name. Kind of traditional like Gabriel or Grayson but also modern. My husband and I like European names. My husbands name is Christian John, his dad`s name is John Jeffery so our little ones middle name will probably be John. My dad`s name is Richard which is not our first choice but I would love to have my side of the family included.

Currently my husband suggests Sebastian John which I kind of like with the exception that the first name is not unique and my side of the family is not included, however I guess it will be to much of middle names if going with John Rick maybe.

It is so hard to pick a name! I hope you have some suggestions for me...

What about a name that has the same meaning as your father's? Richard means "brave or dominant ruler." Here are some unique names that mean "ruler".

Alaric
    Alric
    Arne
    Eero

Other names you might like...
    Ethan
    Owen
    Milo
    Atticus
    Jasper
    Asher
    August
    Felix
    Dashiell

You could always find another name from your side of the family.
    Current Favorites

Harper . Olivia . Sidney
    Elliott . Sawyer . Reid . Bennett

I do like the sound of Sebastian John, but I understand you would like to incorporate something related to Richard.
    There are several ways to go about it other than adding Rick.
    1. Meaning of Richard "powerful/strong/brave leader" - there are tons of boy names with such meanings
    examples: Neal / Cedric/ Derrick/ Frederick / Caleb/Andrew/Leo....
    2. Use the first initial R
    examples: Roderick/ Roland/ Raymond
    I will add some when I think of more

First off, popularity isn't what it seems to be. I'm not sure what your concept of "too popular" is, but Liam would probably be fine. I can get more into the stats if you like but pretty much everyone today is driven to find a unique name for their kids so even the number #1 name isn't that big. In the US, in 1985 the number one Michael was 3.3742% of births, whereas today the #1 Noah is 0.9043% of births, which is comparable to around #26 in 1985. And in some states Noah didn't even make the top ten.

Sebastian is also a great name. As far as honoring goes, some people combine two people into one name, although John and Richard would be difficult. Something like Jarrick? or something. I think using two middles is a good idea.

Unique names that have a classic sound:
    Alistair
    Aidric
    Justus
    Emmanuel
    Sinclair
    Lennox
    Callum
    Crispin
    Gideon

Classic and modern
    Anthony
    Malcolm
    Maxwell
    Patrick
    Quentin
    Graham
    Elliot
    Reid
    Simon
    Roman
    Julian
    Vincent
    Wesley
    Last edited by anaxandra; May 26th, 2014 at 04:44 PM.

Congratulations on the birth of your son. I hope you both are doing well and that he reasons for his early arrival don't have any long-lasting consequences.

What is your last name like (starting and ending sounds, #of syllables)? Any other family names from your side besides your dad, Richard?

You're right that Liam is extremely popular, the #2 name in the country. Even though Sebastian isn't unique, it's much much less common than Liam.

Something modern but classic and timeless, and not very common:

Roderick (give this one a thought. It's rare but not weird, an old Medieval English name with lots of history but still modern)
    Ronan (adorable Irish name meaning "little seal")
    Rory
    Ross
    Roman
    Randolph

Bennett
    Byron
    Davis
    Edmund
    Quentin
    Nolan
    Thaddeus
    Vincent
    Lawrence
    Wilson
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq