Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sweet Swedish Names

We have two boys, Oscar Johan Sven & Hugo Pelle Gunnar, and while we have agreed on two boy names (Gustav Otto Frieg and Liam Otto Frieg) we have no girl names!

We really want her to also have a Swedish name but haven't found any that really speak to us. Although we want her first name to be Swedish, we do want it to be too different. The only "restrictions" we have are about letters: We don't want to repeat a letter (meaning no O or H names) and we can't use any names ending in N. Middle names are chosen from family names and right now we are leaning towards Ingrid Juni or Ines Greta. We thought Siri was just darling but because of the iPhone, we're no longer sure.

I love love love Ingrid and Greta! I've found some names with Nordic and Scandinavian origins that you might like...

Sigrid
    Astrid
    Freya/Freja
    Liv
    Agne
    Anneli
    Britta
    Elin
    Maja
    Sonia/Sonja
    Terese
    Veera
    ♥ Current Favorites ♥

Adelaide Wren | Madeleine Opal | Emmeline Carys

John Sawyer | Elliott Grey | August Theodore | Reid Harrison | Finley Abraham | Bennett Ezra

First of all, I love the names of both of your children. They are both beautiful and classic. As a Scandinavian, the female names I suggest are:
    Astrid
    Marit
    Sigrid
    Greta
    Lotta
    Matilda
    Freyja
    Ingrid
    Maya
    Nina (I love this one myself)
    Louisa
    Thora/Tora (might be tad out there thought)

I would also suggest looking at Norse mythology. It has some beautiful names

Neither Oscar nor Hugo are of Swedish origin, but they are both well used in Sweden and don't sound obscure in the English-speaking countries. I suppose this is what you're looking for in a girl name, too?

Alice
    Elsa
    Ella
    Julia
    Agnes
    Emma
    Klara
    Stella
    Emilia
    Isabella
    Matilda
    Nora

All are names from Swedish Top 100 of 2013. I bolded my favorites with brothers Oscar and Hugo.
    polina
    eighteen
    french/russian/swedish
    living in st. petersburg, russia
    university sophomore

clementine ・ jemima ・ harriet ・ mabel
    felix ・ sebastian ・ milo ・ oliver

alexnj~ We like Freya/Freja and Liv! Elin is pretty but like we said, we can't use/don't want names ending with N.

meadowofsunflowers~ We like Matilda (though it's a bit too common sounding) and Freya/Freja! We obviously like Greta & Ingrid as we are considering them as middle names, however since they are family names they never will be first names.

polina~ We had done research before naming our boys and with both of their names, in all the research we had done, had told us they were Swedish names. If you have (reliable, some sites are not always) sites/sources to show us what origin they are from, please share them. We like Alice, Stella, and Matilda though all of them are a bit too common sounding