Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Dislike Nicknames

I'm curious to know if anyone else dislikes the use of nicknames? I love several names that all have nicknames the child would inevitably end up being called.

Valentina - Tina or Val
    Angelina - Angie
    Cassia - Cassie
    Evangeline - Eva or Angie
    Gabrielle - Gabie
    Gabriel - Gabe

Etc. I, personally, feel like if I really like a nickname, I would just use it as a first name. I never had a nickname, neither did my sister. My husband is Joseph and goes by Joe, but I feel like that is more of a shortening than a nickname. Joey would be a nickname.

If I go to the trouble to give my child a great name, I don't want it ruined with a nickname. Does anyone else feel the same? How do you set the record straight with people that you don't want your child given a nickname?
    TTC Since January 2012

Current Name Obsessions:

Priscilla Rose | Evangeline Belle | Genevieve Iris
    Gabriel Joseph | Henry Daniel | Leo Alexander

I love love love Madeleine and Madeline, but really don't care for Maddie.
    Not expecting, just love collecting names!

My name is Erin. I am 22 years old and I have loved baby names since I was 10.

Girl names: Juliet Elaine, Madeline Hope, Linnea Carys, Stella Rose, Emilia Colette, Clara Noelle, Violet Elizabeth, Lydia Charlotte, Elaine Victoria, Evelyn Ruby

Boy names: Jonathan Rhys, Wesley Quinn, Evan Robert, Joel Dominic, Quinn Patrick, Dawson Cole, Judah Nathaniel, Rhys Jeremiah, Roman Gabriel, Lachlan Jude

I'm not a fan of nicknames, but I didn't grow up around people who used nicknames so to me it's a little weird. I understand when it's like a pet name, but otherwise I wonder why they didn't just give the child the nn for a name. For me, a nickname is anything you all called by others and introduce yourself as (besides your given name). It can be related to the name or not. For example, I know someone who goes by Zeke; although his name is not anything like Zeke, I've never in my life heard anyone call him anything but that.

In my family, whatever the parents used for a name (given or nickname) is what everyone else used. If someone tried using a nn, I would just say that the child goes by his or her full name.

I love nicknames. When someone calls me by my nickname, I love it, because it means that they're comfortable enough around me to use that name.
    My best friends are Bella (Isabella) and Milly (Amelia), I also know an Issy (Isabella), Madi (Madison), Georgie (Georgina) and the like.
    My brother is also PJ.

There are some that I don't care for - I LOVE Isobel, but don't like Issy/Izzy. Not sure about Bel though.
    ○ chelsea ○ eighteen ○ australia ○

○ Margot Olivia ○ Estelle India ○
    ○ Leila Isobel Zoe Eva ○

○ Edward Alexander ○ Archibald Sebastian ○
    ○ Maxwell Hunter Flynn Noah Jack ○

○ please vote on my NEW nameslist here

Personally, I don't see the point of using a great name, and not using it the majority of the time. I actually feel like it's a bit odd when parents don't use their kids full names. I feel like out of everyone, parents are almost expected to be the ones to say 'Rosalind' instead of 'Rosie' or 'Matilda' instead of 'Tilly'. Pet names make a bit more sense to me, probably because my mum has so many for me, but it's only when she's all 'you're still my little baby' that she uses them. Sometimes my friends call me by a nn, some more than others, but but I don't understand why anyone would pick a name they love and not use it.
    Wholocked, history and chemistry loving teenberry (16).
    Hoping to be a mummy in the very distant future. Dreaming of...
    Pandora Valencia FaeEvanthe Lyra Annabeth
    Little Misses
    Caspian Sherlock WalterPhoenix Arthur Blaise
    Mister Men

Crushing on... ✦ AmadeaGeorgianaViolaPtolemyArchieHamish
    "'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."
    • Mycroft Holmes • Sherlock (BBC) • His Last Vow •