Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Incorrect / Incomplete descriptions and meanings

This isn't a complaint about the database, so don't get me wrong. I was just wondering if we could get some meanings of certain names fixed, for example, the database says that Solveig means "daughter of the house", whereas it actually means "daughter of the sun" or "the sun's path". Part of the name means hall or home, but not all of it. Also, I would like it if there could be a longer description for Hortense (and possibly other names which have short descriptions), such as famous people with the name and where it was first heard, as it's current description is "a 'don't do this to your daughter' type name".

Does anyone else feel the same?
    I'm a Teenberry who is mad about names, royals & history. I'm not expecting, just collecting names.

Adelina Sophia ♕ Magdalena Élisabeth ♕ Isla Aveline
    Leo Xavier ♕ Alexander George ♕ Thomas Archie

See my lists of: Girls names, Boys names and Combinations!

Crushes: Charlene, Anneliese, Megan, Jean, Augustus and Adair
    GP Crushes: Welcome and Truman

I agree, there are some names that I feel should have a bit more in their description, rather than simply a line or two trying to deter someone from choosing the name. Some names, such as Beatrice, have a long, extensive, and very informative description, meanwhile, Doris, has one line, which is more of a personal perspective, and doesn't really give a lot of input (although I dislike it, Doris does have a beautiful meaning).

♂: Neville | Matthew | Ernest | Alfie | Louis | Christopher | Harry | James | Albert | Andrew

♀: Doris | Eleanor | Violet | Lillian | Florence | Martha | Minnie | Agatha | Freya |

Quote Originally Posted by adelina_sophia View Post
    This isn't a complaint about the database, so don't get me wrong. I was just wondering if we could get some meanings of certain names fixed, for example, the database says that Solveig means "daughter of the house", whereas it actually means "daughter of the sun" or "the sun's path". Part of the name means hall or home, but not all of it.
    Does it, though? I agree that 'daughter of the house' is not right, but I don't think your given meanings are correct either.

From the three sources I trust:

Behind the Name
    From an Old Norse name which was derived from the elements sól "sun" and veig "strength".
    Nordic Names Wiki
    Combination of SOL and VEIG
    SOL: The original meaning 'house with one room, big room, hall' has later been displaced by the newer interpretation 'sun'
    VEIG: Germanic name element which is closely related to and difficult to tell apart from VIG and possibly VI
    Ancient Germanic
    *waiʒō = 'power, strength'
    Old Norse
    veig = 'power, strength'
    VIG: Ancient Germanic
    wīg = 'fight, battle'
    *weik- = 'to fight, to battle'
    Proto-Norse
    *wīh = 'fighter'
    Old Norse
    víg = 'fight, battle'
    vígr = 'in fighting condition, able to fight'
    Nöfn Íslendinga
    Nafnið hefur verið notað hér á landi frá upphafi. Það kemur fyrir á nokkrum stöðum í Íslendinga sögum og einnig í Sturlungu og víða í fornbréfum. Á þessum tíma var nafnið nær eingöngu ritað Solveig og var því haldið áfram fram undir þessa öld. Nafnið hefur verið tengt orðinu salur "stór herbergi, loft í húsi" og elsta mynd þá Sal- eða Sölveig. Ritmyndin Solveig í handritum getur staðið fyrir Sal-, Sol-, Söl- og Sólveig og er því ekki hægt að segja með vissu hvað að baki stóð. Óvíst er hvort myndin Sólveig, tengd nafnorðinu sól, komi fram fyrr en í lok síðustu aldar eða í upphafi 20. aldar. Solveig er notað í sænsku frá því í lok 19. aldar og er einnig ungt í Danmörku, ritað Solvejg. Nafnið þekktist á miðöldum í Noregi og var mjög vinsælt á 18. öld.
    Translation: The name has been used here in Iceland since the settlement. It appears in several places in the Icelandic sagas, also in the Sturlinga and extensively in letters from that time. At that time the name was almost exclusively written Solveig, and this form continued to be used up until the 20th century. The name has been linked to the word salur "large room", and the oldest form is Sal- or Sölveig. The written form Solveig in manuscripts can stand for Sal-, Sol-, Söl- and Sólveig and therefore it is not possible to say with any certainty what meaning lies behind it. It is uncertain whether the form Sólveig, connected to the word sól [sun], appeared before the end of the 19th or beginning of the 20th century. Solveig has been used in Sweden since the end of the 19th century and is also young in Denmark, written Solvejg. The name was used in the middle ages in Norway and was very popular in the 18th century.
    Algengur viðliður kvennanafna, t.d. Guðveig, Hallveig, Sigurveig. Hann er líklega tengdur nafnorðunum veig og veigur "kraftur, þungi".
    Translation: Common suffix on feminine given names, e.g. Guðveig, Hallveig, Sigurveig. It is probably related to the nouns veig and veigur "power, weight".
    The fact is nobody really knows for sure exactly what Solveig means, but the most likely options are "strength of the hall" or "fighter of the hall", possibly "strength of the sun" or "fighter of the sun", but there is less evidence for those options. I'd be interested to see any sources you have that support 'daughter' or 'path'?
    Last edited by jackal; May 25th, 2014 at 12:32 PM.
    Emil - Gylfi - Haraldur - Ingimar - Ívar - Kjartan - Leó - Matthías - Orri - Óskar - Róbert - Sævar - Sverrir

Elísabet - Elva - Freyja - Ingileif - Ingunn - Ísabel - Lovísa - Lóa - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa

Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    Does it, though? I agree that 'daughter of the house' is not right, but I don't think your given meanings are correct either.

From the three sources I trust:

Behind the Name

Nordic Names Wiki

Nöfn Íslendinga

The fact is nobody really knows for sure exactly what Solveig means, but the most likely options are "strength of the hall" or "fighter of the hall", possibly "strength of the sun" or "fighter of the sun", but there is less evidence for those options. I'd be interested to see any sources you have that support 'daughter' or 'path'?
    I'm not Scandinavian nor do I have any relatives from Scandinavia, so it's only natural that I'll get the meaning wrong. I got my information from Solveig's page on Wikipedia, and although it's not the most reliable of sources, other sites said that part of it means 'sun' so I just took those to be correct.
    I'm a Teenberry who is mad about names, royals & history. I'm not expecting, just collecting names.

Adelina Sophia ♕ Magdalena Élisabeth ♕ Isla Aveline
    Leo Xavier ♕ Alexander George ♕ Thomas Archie

See my lists of: Girls names, Boys names and Combinations!

Crushes: Charlene, Anneliese, Megan, Jean, Augustus and Adair
    GP Crushes: Welcome and Truman

Quote Originally Posted by adelina_sophia View Post
    I'm not Scandinavian nor do I have any relatives from Scandinavia, so it's only natural that I'll get the meaning wrong. I got my information from Solveig's page on Wikipedia, and although it's not the most reliable of sources, other sites said that part of it means 'sun' so I just took those to be correct.
    Neither am/do I I've never even been to Scandinavia. But honestly, speaking the languages is sometimes less important than research because names can be misleading. As far as I know, in modern Norwegian sol means sun and vei means way/path, so it would be very easy for an uninformed Norwegian speaker to simply assume that Solveig meant 'way of the sun'. Just as most Icelanders you ask won't have any clue that the sól in Sólveig probably doesn't mean sól 'sun', even though it's the exact same combination of letters. Icelandic has changed far far less from Old Norse than Norwegian has, though, so veig is still recognisable in something close to its original meaning. It's easier to get confused about these coincidences when you actually speak the language - I know I simply assumed that Sólveig had something to do with the sun before I looked into the actual research, and I know a guy named Finnur who is convinced that his name means 'finder' (it definitely doesn't) because the Icelandic verb for to find is að finna.

I think it's important to look into these things carefully before trying to correct others, though. I didn't mean all this in an aggressive way at all, I just think it's an interesting discussion. I'm kind of a name (and name etymology) nerd, after all
    Emil - Gylfi - Haraldur - Ingimar - Ívar - Kjartan - Leó - Matthías - Orri - Óskar - Róbert - Sævar - Sverrir

Elísabet - Elva - Freyja - Ingileif - Ingunn - Ísabel - Lovísa - Lóa - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa