Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is Naming Daughter After the Mom Weird?

Hey Berries,
    My name is Ayla (pronounced Kayla without the K) & since I have a more unusual name and I've always loved having the name, I've had people tell me I should carry it down to my daughter in one way or another. It got me wondering how acceptable it is for a woman to pass her name down to her daughters, since it's not strange at all to carry a man's name to his sons?

I don't think I could handle having a daughter Ayla because of the confusion (& honestly it does seem kind of strange) but maybe for a middle name? How do you think people would feel about that? Does it seem odd to you? Do you know anyone who has done this?

All thoughts welcome - I'm not even sure how I feel about it. Also, throw in your favorite girl names for (what I'm expecting to be) a little blonde haired, blue/green eyed girl! -Just for fun, I'm still kicking around names with my hubby (who does not seem as interested in names as me, of course).

Here are my favorites:
    Thea Soma
    Lilah Soma
    Elsa Soma
    Chloe Soma
    Chleo Soma
    Nile Soma
    Ember Soma
    Lucy Soma
    Ivy Soma

Thank you in advance!

I like Thea and Ivy off of your list. I share the same middle name with my mother, so I think it is normal. I do know several moms that named their sons after themselves. Ex. Macon for Macy and Cason for Casey. I personally don't care for the trend, but I have never liked the idea of naming sons after fathers either. I do think that it is just as warranted to name the kids after the mother...maybe even more so? They are usually already using the dad's last name.
    Beatrix - Fleur - Minnow - Zelda - Fern - Winifred - Poet

Wolfgang - Atlas - Huck - Abraham - Ernest - Ulysses - Fox - Alasdair

I love Thea. You might like Esme, Willa, Tyra or Phoebe?

For a middle name I guess it's okay, but for the most part I find it incredibly dull and narcissistic when people name their kids after themselves.

That being said I do really love my own name too, and I do like it paired with some of my favourites. I don't think I could bring myself to ever use it as a middle name, unless maybe my child's father really loved it too.
    close to my heart ★ Billie Cordelia - Jemima Eilidh - May Margaret - Estella Agnes - Jessamine Martha
    Emmett Jack - Alec Huw - Wilfred Nicholas - Rufus Kielder - Harrison Tadhg - Robert Fox - Wes Oberon

unusable-beautiful; Virginia Eseld & Dolores Eithne . ''She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line'. 'olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

I love Thea, Ivy, and Lucy

Also, I don't really like naming kids after people, because as you said, it's confusing, but naming a child after the mother isn't that strange. That's how Martha Stewart got her name.

Other names:
    Athena
    Avery
    Skye
    Philippa

Mother's name as daughter's middle is very normal. It's a great tradition. I've seen mom's first and mom's maiden used this way a lot. I think it is fantastic.

However, all your first name choices are vowel-heavy and they don't flow off my tongue very well with Ayla.