Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

My Neurotic Search for a Girl's Name

I'm looking for baby girl name suggestions! DH and I already have two sons. Without saying what their names are, they have what I consider to be fun and lively biblical names. Think more along the lines of Asa and Ezekiel than John and Peter. I've looked and looked for biblical girls names, but there just aren't many, and most are a little heavy and serious for us.

Maisie - My top name right now, honors a family member, I know some find it to be too much of a nickname, but I'm not really concerned about that. Names like Lily, Lucy and Zoey are so popular; I think it fits right in. I'm just not sure if its THE name.

Marta: a newer consideration, I can't quite decide. Is it fun? Is it stodgy?
    Petra: too modern sounding? I do like an old fashioned name, which this IS but it doesn't quite sound like it is. If that makes sense.
    Phoebe: the best option on paper. It is biblical and lively. I'm just not sold.

Seriously considered for our sons had they been girls, but not likely to be used anymore: Greta, Ivy and Zelda

I don't know if these fit my style of boy's names, but they are long time favorites: Beatrice, Matilda and Rosemary

Too ordinary with my unusual boys' names?: Josephine, Eleanor and Lucy

Whew. Neurotic indeed. Writing it all out makes me feel a little nutty. I think I've looked at every name on the planet, but maybe someone can put a name in a new light for me. Calling any and all suggestions, Berries, I know you have it in you!

fairchild

Hmmm. Would you consider Marta nn Maisie? Makes about as much sense as Margaret nn Maisie. Really I think Maisie works with anything that starts with Ma- or has a "may" sound in it.

I actually think Petra sounds like one of your best options--it doesn't feel modern at all to me, I think of the awesome ancient city in Jordan, which seems like the vibe you're going for.

It's hard to say whether Josephine, Eleanor and Lucy would be too normal with your boys' names without actually knowing the names, but I don't think any of the three are more common than Phoebe and Maisie, so I'd consider them usable. I think matching style between boys' and girls' names isn't much of an issue, anyway. Plenty of people like completely different styles of boy/girl names, so I honestly wouldn't think it all that odd to meet someone with sons Benjamin and Jacob and daughters Elodie and Seraphina. Or a sibset of, say, Amelia and Ichabod.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Mazarine Cosima Odette Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Agatha | Apollonia | Cornelia | Guinevere | Henrietta | Josephine | Lavinia | Minerva | Parthenia | Thomasina | Winifred

V i n t a g e | C h a r m

Archibald | Augustus | Barnabas | Bartholomew | Cornelius | Ebenezer | Hezekiah | Ignatius | Leonidas | Sylvester | Tiberius

Okay first about naming your child Maisie because it's not too mainstream might be a bad idea. I know at least six baby Maisie's who got named that in the past few months. The name is going to be really popular soon so if that's not what you want you shouldn't name her that. But it is a really pretty name.

Now for the names:
    Lucia
    Cassiel (name of a angel if I remember correctly in some religion)
    Adalia
    Lailah (another name of a angel)
    Talia
    Brielle
    Kinslee
    Emmeline
    Alessa
    Essence
    Soar
    Linger
    Kendra
    Genevieve

geeknamezyo - Thanks for your thoughts and the vote for Petra! I'm glad it doesn't feel modern to you. I'm intrigued by what you said about boys and girls names styles not needing to match. I wonder if a lot of people feel that way.

Does any one have any suggestions? Maybe something with the same bouncy old-fashioned energy of Zelda, Ivy and Maisie?