Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cynewulf

Never heard it before, but I like the sound and the nature ties with the "wolf" sound. Pronunciation would be quite an issue, though.
    - Elise -

- lists under construction -

It looks like something out of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles. I do think it's very cool. However, I would personally never use it in a million years. There are a lot of obvious pronunciation/spelling/familiarity issues. 'Perhaps' it isn't as well established as Wolfgang is a wild understatement, you are certainly not worrying over nothing. Generally speaking this is not a name in current usage, it's a relic from Anglo-Saxon times. People will forever be doing a double-take at his name, raising eyebrows, commenting, won't know how to spell it, won't know how to say it. But then some people enjoy having that sort of name I hear, so it's really a matter of taste. I knew someone with the middle name Beowulf and most people thought that was cool, but then it was his middle name rather than his first name, and Beowulf is a thousand times more recognisable than Cynewulf.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure it's properly pronounced kin-uh-wolf, not kine-wolf. There are usually no silent letters in Old English.
    Emil - Ingimar - Kjartan - Matthías - Óskar - Róbert

Elísabet - Elva - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa

Cynewulf is best as a middle name, in my opinion. The only people who are even going to recognize Cynewulf as something other than a random combination of letters are people who are either extremely knowledgeable about ancient names and/or historians who specialize in the Dark Ages. And perhaps the occasional high fantasy guru.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    It looks like something out of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles. I do think it's very cool. However, I would personally never use it in a million years. There are a lot of obvious pronunciation/spelling/familiarity issues. 'Perhaps' it isn't as well established as Wolfgang is a wild understatement, you are certainly not worrying over nothing. Generally speaking this is not a name in current usage, it's a relic from Anglo-Saxon times. People will forever be doing a double-take at his name, raising eyebrows, commenting, won't know how to spell it, won't know how to say it. But then some people enjoy having that sort of name I hear, so it's really a matter of taste. I knew someone with the middle name Beowulf and most people thought that was cool, but then it was his middle name rather than his first name, and Beowulf is a thousand times more recognisable than Cynewulf.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure it's properly pronounced kin-uh-wolf, not kine-wolf. There are usually no silent letters in Old English.
    Well if she drops the "e" then the pronunciation would be correct according some in-accurate babysites. Even, Cyneburg on many random baby sites, quote it as Kyne-burg as in the German tongue. So I can see the innocent mistake. The y acts like an elongated 'e' as in Keen-wulf or Keen-uh-wolf. It is a name that I have been fascinated with since I verbally heard it, then I researched it, and my goodness there are more spellings than what you can shale a stick at. You could say Kin and still be accurate according the verbal pronunciation sites. :-)
    Last edited by vespertinerose; May 20th, 2014 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by southern.maple View Post
    Cynewulf is best as a middle name, in my opinion. The only people who are even going to recognize Cynewulf as something other than a random combination of letters are people who are either extremely knowledgeable about ancient names and/or historians who specialize in the Dark Ages. And perhaps the occasional high fantasy guru.
    I agree with southern.maple.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey