Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names you wish you could use

I'm French, and so is my entire family. Therefore, there's a whole bunch of English (and other) names that I love but could never use, because it would sound very out of place (if my family can pronounce it at all!). Also, being in Canada, French speaking people here pronounce A's (when at the end of a name) as -UH, and it sounds horrible to me. Example, Amelia is pronounced ah-may-liuh. It doesn't sound bad in English, but it's pretty bad in French.

So, because of various reasons, I cannot use the following names, and it's heartbreaking:

Catalina
    Katerina
    Evalina
    Emma
    Sophia
    Dahlia
    Davina
    Elena
    Emalina
    Lana
    Maeve (just prn issues)
    Mila
    Eugenia
    Shea

And for boys, I absolutely love Elijah and Hudson, but they're WAY too "not French" haha.

What are name you wish you could use, but can't, for any reason?
    Mickie

| Éloïse / Élise | Camille | Sophie-Anne / Laurianne |
    | Sébastien | Luca | Théo |

Yes, I will never be able to use Gwen/Gwendolen because it sounds horrible with my last name, which I am not going to change. Only names I can use from my list are Sibylla(not Sybil), Ramona and Dorian.
    Olympia
    Russian Lit student, bookworm, and arts geek.

Serena Elowen LivEmmeline Twila AliceSibyl Jemima IrisEsme Helena Mazarine
    Nathaniel Silvius Wilde Grover Elijah St JohnOscar Ignatius Cosmo Robin Hector Barnaby

Mais c'est pas du tout le cas avec ta liste, à mon avis. Il y a plusieurs qui sont français ou presque, Emma par exemple. Peut-être pas Maeve mais Maeva, Eugénie, Sophie...

J'aime beaucoup des prénoms français, mais aux États-Unis les diacritiques sont interdites sur l'acte de naissance, et donc je n'en utiliserait aucun.

Yes... Dagny, Delphine and Dasha. They clash nastily with my last name. Amadea also sounds awful with my last name. I can't use Emanuelle, because I have a cousin called Emmanuel. Likewise for Elena, because of a cousin and a close friend, both called Eleni.

Haha, Im in montreal. I'm english, my husband is from France. I don't care that neither side is enthusiastic about Ombeline. It was my guilty pleasure name, but off all my favs it suits her best. Brunhilda was too butch for us to use.
    Mother to Ombeline Althea Aurelia Tindra Lucero Scholze
    Born in February.