Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Nemo

Nemo

Hello all! The website The Baby Name Wizard lists Nemo as a nickname for Edmund. I am very interested to hear if any of you think this is a usable nickname and if the derivation makes sense? Ned is my favorite nickname for Edmund at the moment, but is Nemo a realistic possibility?
    Caitlin Ann & Robert Curtis a.k.a Caitie & Curt
    Newlywed and Namenerd (well kinda, 9.3.12)
    Auntie to Morgan Ellen, Jason Lee, Stana Marie, Shanna Lynn, and Eva Jean

I love family names, literary names and familiar but uncommon names. Feel free to suggest some!

Rupert~Milo~Montag~Atlas~Lucian nn Luc~Frederick nn Fritz~Tavish~Xavier~Sebastian~Henry nn Hal/Hank
    Lyra~Penelope~Juno~Valentine nn Lena~Harriet~Beatrice~Rhiannon~Philippa nn Flip~Coral~Rose

Honestly I never would have thought of Nemo from Edmund. Then again there's no rule that says a nickname has to be obvious, or even really related to the given name at all. Thus calling your children "honey, pumpkin," etc. I think of nicknames as being a short name that you call someone instead of a shortened version of a name.
    Top 5's
    ♀: Viveca Eulalie | Leonie Jemima
    ♂: Harlan Rafferty | Ozias Everett | Archer Lorcan | Ciaran Barnaby | Hector Malachy

I also wouldn't have related Nemo with Edmund. I wouldn't use it myself because of the obvious Disney connection.
    23-year old name nerd/addict living in Austria
    Not pregnant or TTC, just collecting names for later.

Top 5 Boys: Brady | Lyon | Cooper | Iven | Finley
    Top 5 Girls: Elina | Loey | Holly | Junia | Zoe

My nephew was friends with an Nicholas that went by Nemo. I know, it seems odd but it really worked for him. I believe his parents intended him to be called Nico (knee-co) but his little sister said it like Nemo. I think Nemo would work wonderfully with Edmund.
    Happily Married Momma to Two Sweet Girls
    Expecting Number Three December 2014

The best I can guess is someone might have gotten 'Ne' from Ned and 'mo' Edmond then mashed it together. I kind of like it.
    Dany (Also known as Athena Danielle)
    Could you check out these threads? I'll return the favor.
    Link
    Link

Rosemary Gloria ~ Petra Madeleine~ Lilith Seraphine
    Alaric Matthew ~ Henry Marcellus ~ Sebastian Rhys ~ Giles Edmund