Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which are your favorite Jul- names?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Julia

11 35.48%
  • Giulia

2 6.45%
  • Julie

4 12.90%
  • Jules

5 16.13%
  • Julianna/Juliana

11 35.48%
  • Juliet

17 54.84%
  • Julieta

1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Jul- names?

The Jul- names?

I've been searching for a Jul- name I really love. I've considered Juliet, and love Julia but find it too popular. Others I've thought about but just don't love are Juliana, Julianne, Julieta, Juliette, and Julie. I love Jules, but think it needs a more formal first name. For boys, I like both Julius and Julian quite a bit.

Then I hit on Giulia.
    I used to hate it. I thought the G was awkward and clunky. But in my recent quest for a Jul name, I reconsidered it and found it to be richer than the original Julia, with more personality. I think it looks prettier on paper and catches the eye, but is still classic and has a history. I'm not Italian, but I think I could use it anyway. (Not actually naming a baby here. Just speculating.)

So what do you think of Giulia? Which Jul- name is your favorite?
    As always, all thoughts, opinions, ideas, etc. are appreciated.

LL
    Hector · Lionel · Valentine · Luka · Silas · Hamish · August · Leo · Charles "Cal" · Raphael · Felix · Edmund · Caspar · Otto · Rufus · Ivan · Julian · Franz · Abel · Otis · Vincent · Beau · Dmitri · Abram · Clement · Ambrose · Elias · Fabian

Isadora · Antonia · Giulia · Bess · Elspeth · Octavia · Esperanza · Niamh · Wilhelmina "Winnie" · Ophelia · Lavinia "Liv" · Miriam · Louisa · Florence · Beatrix · Iris · Leonora · Nell · Sylvie · Mabel · Rosamund · Opal · Eloisa

I picked my favourites before reading the post. I'm on the fence about Giulia... I feel like it might be hard to wear without Italian heritage. If you pronounce it the same as Julia, it doesn't solve your popularity problem. When it comes down to it though, you go with what you love, whatever that might mean!
    ~Jen
    Parker Scott (3/8/13)
    baby girl (due 11/14)

I agree with pp. Giulia does look very Italian and might be hard to wear, and I pronounce it just like Julia. My favorite Jul name is Juliet.

My sister works with a Jules. Her first name. She is in her late thirties, and wears the name quite well. I prefer Jules as a stand alone name.
    Other Jul variations like....
    Lulia/Loulia
    Luliana
    Giulia
    Giulianna
    Jewel/Jewels
    Juliette- prefer this spelling

Julien- prefer this spelling
    Julius
    Julio
    Giulio
    Giuliani
    Happily Married Momma to two Sweet Girls & Expecting Again
    Ellie Bea 06/14/06~Anna Rose 05/16/13
    Due December 12th, 2014
    Scott Allen~or~Nyla Hope

Favorite Names for a Lil Lady:
    Ruby~Lyla~Livinia~Marcella~Amara~Colette

Favorite Names for a Lil Gent:
    Wylder~Cole~Seth~Kieran~Jonah~Micah

Favorite Guilty Pleasures:
    Grimm~Evangeline~Sanoah~Snow

As someone with a less-common spelling for a fairly common name, I would caution against using Giulia unless you feel really strongly about it. People are eternally spelling my name wrong, just assuming that it's spelled the more common way. It's usually not a big deal and I just let it go, but it can be a hassle on important documents or when someone is looking something up by my name. I'm guessing that it would be worse for Giulia, since it would never even occur to many people that it might be spelled any way other than "Julia," since it isn't a name that's known for having multiple spellings. It's up to you if you really love it, of course; it's just something to consider.

On a more positive note, I really like Juliet and the nickname Jules!