Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Keyboards and baby names

I was reading this article: http://time.com/94945/keyboards-baby-names/
    I'll quote the basic thought behind it, just incase the link isn't working (or you don't want to read the whole thing).

Quote Originally Posted by TIME
    In Daniel Casasanto’s previous paper, he presented the QWERTY effect, named after the standard American keyboard: that words typed using more letters on the right side of the keyboard (like y, u, i, o, p, m, n, j, k, l) tend to be be viewed as more positive, while words typed with more letters from the left side (like z, x, c, v, b, a, s, d and f) tend to be viewed as more negative.

Now, in a paper to be presented this summer at the 36th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, Casasanto will present findings that show Americans have started to favor baby names typed with more right-side keys since 1990, the point his team chose as the beginning of the keyboard-centric era. This builds on the same basic theory that people favor things on their dominant side, and because the vast majority of people are right-handed, that means most humans should associate positive feelings with the right side of the keyboard, too.
    I was just wondering what you all think about this. Do you favor "right-side" names over "left"?

Haha no. This doesn't hold true for my personal tastes and I have serious doubts about it as a theory. Letters go in and out of fashion, but I'm not buying this explanation.
    Emil - Ingimar - Kjartan - Matthías - Óskar - Róbert

Elísabet - Elva - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa

No, I don't think this is true really at all. Left side letters x, v, and a are really popular in names right now.
    Short List
    Ruby • Juliet • Victoria • Eloise • Lydia • Evelyn
    Clara • Gloria • Irene • Iris • Josephine • Eliza

Victor • Abraham • Alexander • Jasper • Elijah • Isaac
    Everett • Oliver • Frederick • Edwin • Oscar • Nathaniel

If letters typed with the left hand are in some way "sinister" (originally a Latin word meaning "left"), then my name of "Nephele" is about 43 percent sinister. Not quite over on the dark side, but close. Bwahaha.

It's amazing how many weird theories people invent... Not true to my favorite names, they tend to be more on the 'sinister' side (Felix, Sebastian, Archie). I wonder what it says about me!
    polina, nineteen
    french/russian/swedish living in st. petersburg, russia
    art history major, web developer

clementine + ottoline + romilly + sybella + matilda
    wilhelmina + tallulah + marlowe + emiliana + saskia

felix + sebastian + milo + oscar + fabian
    cosmo + archer + rufus + dashiell + caius

{ mommy to jagger the cat }