Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Considering Cosima

I've been really crushing on Cosima lately after watching Orphan Black. Something about seeing how well the name works on a person (albeit a fictional character in a TV show) has made it ten times more attractive to me. I love the meaning of "order and beauty," as well as the connection to a patron saint of physicians. This is probably due to the similarity to the word "cosmos" in reference to the universe, but Cosima is a very starlit name to me, all deep midnight blues and silver twinkles, with swaths of rainbow-colored nebulas swirling through it like so much fairy dust.

I would love your feedback on a couple of points:

1) Does Cosima fit in with the rest of my list? I love her next to Ophelia or Endymion, but the one I worry about the most is Caspian. Are these names too similar to work in a sibset? Caspian would win if I had to choose between the two, but I would dearly love for there to be room on my list for both names, despite the shared hard-C and S sounds.

2) What middle names would you suggest for a Cosima? I would also be open to combos where Cosima is in the middle, but only for a really magical and striking first name. As you can see from my signature, I prefer that most combos have at least one nature/word name OR Biblical name (preferably of the uncommon variety - no Mary or John please). I also try to pair my more unusual names with names that are somewhat more familiar (like familiar Wren with the more fanciful Ophelia or the more popular Eve with obscure Wisteria).

If you have any questions about what I'm looking for, please feel free to ask. I'm always willing to clarify, and I try to provide feedback on all the suggestions I receive.

Thank you in advance, my lovelies! I look forward to seeing your responses ^_^
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

Cosima fits in wonderfully with the names in your signature.
    I probably wouldn't pair her with Caspian since they're quite similar in sound.
    I might see Cosima as a bit more "normal" (since I know one or two) which makes my favourite sibling names for her a bit less unusual.
    I love Cosima with Ophelia, Serafina, Tobias and Edmund.

I don't think my suggestions would be very helpful, I'm not that good with Nature or Biblical names :/
    Polly

currently loving

Arabella | Eloise | Ida | Leonor | Ophelia | Penelope | Rosalie

August | Caspar | Elliott | Oscar | Theo

I love Cosima! I met one once in real life and became fascinated with the name. She wore it well and it definitely helps make it seem more usable when you can see it as someone's actual name (even if they are a fictional character - slightly off topic but I watched the first season of Orphan Black and it's so good! Doesn't she pronounce it coh-SEE-mah though?)

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysessha View Post
    I love the meaning of "order and beauty," as well as the connection to a patron saint of physicians. This is probably due to the similarity to the word "cosmos" in reference to the universe, but Cosima is a very starlit name to me, all deep midnight blues and silver twinkles, with swaths of rainbow-colored nebulas swirling through it like so much fairy dust.
    ^^ This is exactly how I feel about Cosima

1) I definitely think Cosima fits with the rest of your list. I agree that it would be too close to Caspian to work as siblings but I don't see why they can't be on your list. Make room for Cosima, it's a great name

2) My own favourite Cosima combos:
    Cosima Beatrice
    Cosima Rowan (though I see you already have Rowan as a boys' middle)
    Cosima Hazel
    Cosima Josephine
    Cosima Pearl
    Just a 19 year old weirdly obsessed with names, no babies in the near future

Aila Anwen Arianwen Aveline Calla Caoimhe Cosima Fionnuala Hazel Hestia Josephine Rowan
    Alaric Asa Evander Ezra Jasper Leander Lucas Orion Perseus Ruairi

Your naming style is very different to mine but Cosima Lux or Cosima Lark came to mind, both of which I love.

opheliaflora - I just have to say, I love your screen name, as well as many of the names in your signature. It would seem we share some favorites! I've yet to meet a Cosima in person, but the more I hear it the more I love it. I agree, the sibset you picked out is lovely! And please feel free to suggest middles...I am pretty open-minded. I posted my preferences for word/nature/Biblical names because I was reading a thread earlier where one of the complaints was posters who don't give enough details about what they like, so I wanted make sure to include some info about what my style usually is.

potofgold - Glad to hear you love the name! I'm a huge fan of Orphan Black...season 2 just started recently and so far it's just as awesome as season 1 They do pronounce the character's name coh-SEE-mah. I've read that it is also pronounced KAW-zee-mah, but I prefer the first pronunciation. It has a softer sound and I like the accent on the second syllable. Cosima Pearl is my favorite of your suggestions. I think it's beautiful. This combo would probably be on my list now if I didn't already have the Lucia Pearl combo. I do love Rowan, but as you mentioned, I prefer it on a boy (like a softer, more naturey version of Roman!) Thank you so much for your feedback!

gertielee - Thanks for your feedback! Very thoughtful of you to comment even though we have different styles I actually quite adore Cosima Lark. If my last name didn't start with a K, this would be a contender for sure! But as is, I think the K sounds would run together a bit too much.

I'd love to hear more middle suggestions, if anyone is so inclined. And so far we have two votes no for a Caspian and a Cosima in the same sibset...any votes for yes?
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu