Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wdyt?

I actually quite like it, it's certainly very whimsical and a nice name, especially to honour ancestry. As I've always known it it's been spelt Esclarmonde (no e in the middle) and it means "Light of the world" which is nice, there is also an Opera Esclarmonde. I like Essie as a diminutive, but if one was to go with Clare I would follow how it is spelt in the name and not include the i.
    Robin - Arthur/Arthen - Llywelyn - Henry - Emrys - Caspian - Elystan - Rhydwyn

Persephone - Georgiana - Aurddolen - Hedydd - Edith - Artemis - Seren - Morgana

Quote Originally Posted by sparkleninja18 View Post
    It looks made up to me, like someone pulled a "Renesmee" in real life.
    Lol. I agree it sounds a little made up, but the that factor aside, it's not bad. I don't like the nickname Essie. It sounds a little ditzy as a nickname for such an extravagant full name. I think Clara would make a better nickname, honestly.
    ~ Larissa

Amaryllis Joy
    Savannah Mayfair ~ Bellamy June
    Isla Reverie ~ Holiday Elise ~ Cordelia Maple
    Sage Aurora ~ Madeline Story ~ Laszlo Oliver ~ Darwin Blake
    Gideon Levi ~ Fisher Gray ~ Jasper Elias
    Simon Apollo ~ Orlando Archer
    Phineas Jack

Crushing hard... Saylor Adeline ... Siri Genevieve ... Penrose Elizabeth

It looks made up to me, like someone pulled a "Renesmee" in real life. Not even sure how to say it. So, unless you live in France or somewhere it's recognizable, I don't like it at all.
    Ditto.

Esclaremonde seems overly complicated. There are so many French names that are easier to pronounce (and spell). Why not go that route?
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Quote Originally Posted by illabeth View Post
    I actually quite like it, it's certainly very whimsical and a nice name, especially to honour ancestry. As I've always known it it's been spelt Esclarmonde (no e in the middle) and it means "Light of the world" which is nice, there is also an Opera Esclarmonde. I like Essie as a diminutive, but if one was to go with Clare I would follow how it is spelt in the name and not include the i.
    Thanks for the insight on the spelling. I was worried about the e in the middle part, but had seen it spelled that way. I didn't want to leave it in case that way was MORE known.

It looks made up to me, like someone pulled a "Renesmee" in real life. Not even sure how to say it.
    This is exactly what I thought. It seems a bit over the top to me, but if you're going to name your boys very Norse names, then a little Bella or Genevieve or another well-known French name will seem out of place. Granted, if I met one, I would roll my eyes a bit at it (sorry! just being honest), BUT I also don't know its history, or didn't before seeing pp's post, so it would be ignorant of me to do so. So if you can be okay with knowing those who think it's ridiculous might be ignorant while smiling and thanking them for their opinion, go for it.