Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gwen

Personally I like simply Gwen. Such a gorgeous name. I see it like the boys name Leo. It stands so well on its own. Honestly can be a disappointment when I find out they aren't just Gwen. If using Gwen on its own I would spell it Gwenn and pair it with a longer middle name.

All the long versions are also gorgeous, but not entirely necessary unless you prefer longer names....
    Guinevere- I like this option because if she dislikes Gwen later on she could go by Vera.
    Gwendolyn
    Gwendoline- I prefer this spelling
    Gwendolen
    Gwenda- reminds me of Glenda the good witch.
    Gwyneth- pretty, but reminds me too much of Gwyneth Paltrow
    Gwynn/Gwynna- ^^ditto
    Gwennora- I like this one for the same reason I like Guinevere. Gwen or Nora

I think Gwen is great by itself, I want to name my first daughter either just Gwyn or Gwyneth and call her Gwyn! I also like Guinevere
    Declan
    Darcy, Quentin, Elliott, James, Marianne, Josephine, Henrietta
    Robin, Hazel
    Claire
    August, Hawk, Sydney, Primrose, Isis, Lavender
    gracenewgrace.blogspot.com

Gwen has enough power and spunk to stand alone, for sure. But it is also a fiery nickname option for the more docile Gwendolen/Gwendolyn, so if you went that route she would have a softer full name to fall back on if she preferred. She would also have at least a couple other nicknames to choose from if she wanted, like Dolly, Winnie, Wendy and Lynn.

Personally, I think one of the bigger things to consider, after options and sheer likability, is how each option withh blend with existing/potential siblings. Will the other kiddos have longer names with nickname options or shorter "nick-proof" names? This would be my personal tie-breaker.

Say you had a Patrick and a Brigid along with Maura. Do you prefer to hear Maura, Patrick, Brigid and Gwen OR Maura, Patrick, Brigid and Gwendolyn?

Personally, with just Maura, I prefer simply Gwen.
    Last edited by acoker95; May 11th, 2014 at 11:38 PM.
    Ashley l Christian l Journalist

Lorelei Anne, Hermione Iris, Rosalind Cora

Phineas Reid

Gwen is a stunning name. I think it can absolutely be a full name, especially because I dislike all of the longer versions of Gwen.
    Baby girl coming July 9th

Esme Francesca Gianna Charis Isis Petra Celeste Stella Audrey
    Jasmine Gwen Carmen Lola Scarlett Nadia Nadine Stephanie
    Marina Jacqueline Rhiannon Mariah Dahlia Winter Ariadne Phaedra

I love Gwen! I prefer it on its own to Gwendolyn/Gwendolen or Guinevere. I LOVE Gwyneth--it bothers me that they are not spelled the same, but I just don't love the look of Gwenyth as much. Though I do love the sound of gwen-ith as much or more than gwin-eth. hmm.... it would be a long internal debate for me between:

Gwen
    Gwyneth nn Gwen
    and
    Gwenyth nn Gwen