Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Opinions on Amelia Frost?

I'm going to be trying out an idea for a fantasy novel--my first in a long time!--but I'm having trouble naming the characters. Some background about the novel: it's set in a fantasy world that is ruled by a royal family that has lately become corrupted. War is brewing, but in the midst of it is (ta-da!) our protagonist, Amelia Frost, who has just been accepted to a prestigious academy for mythical beings like herself: Magicals (basically people with superpowers, like Amelia), vampires, werewolves, shifters, et cetera. Amelia is a girl who lost her parents and was dropped at a children's home where she has been living. She is twelve-ish years old, and she has the superpowers of antigravity and wintry superpowers as well, such as bringing snow and frost with a single touch--hence her surname.

BUT! I want a final opinion on the surname, because at her new school Amelia will most likely be called by it. So what do you think about a girl named Frost? Are there any other snow-related surnames that Amelia could have? (Except for Snow itself--that was used for the surname of the main protagonist in a fantasy novel that was read by Cath in the book Fangirl, and I don't want to plagerize--even if it's a book that doesn't exist.) Or do you think Frost is good?

Also, I want her to have a roommate--a particularly vicious one. I was thinking it was going to be a vampire (girl, of course, because it wouldn't make sense to give Amelia a boy roommate, preferably with a short name that contains the letter Z : ) So if you could give me advice on that, too, that would be cool.
    Last edited by mack_dogg99; May 10th, 2014 at 10:12 AM.

I might just be picky, but I'm not really a fan. I feel like it's really obvious and kind of stereotypical... I personally like my symbolism to be a bit more subtle. I'd half expect a character names Jack.

Neve, Neva, Eira, Edurne, and Tushar all mean 'snow'. Isanne and Hielo means ice, Audra means storm, Snezhana means snow woman, Isolda means rules over ice.

As for your vicious vampire- if you want a name for that could you elaborate a little? I'm not even sure if it's a male or female. I'm going to assume you meant female, so here's some short names with Z: Paz, Zoey, Yazmin, Eliza, Luz, Liz, Topaz, Jazz, Azure, Hazel, Kenzie, Inez.

Maepae,
    I get where you're coming from with the cliche-ness--guess I suck at being specific. See, what I was thinking was that A. this isn't the modern human world, so obviously their surname standards would be different from ours, and B. since they still have a monarchy that has ultimate power over most things, I was thinking that they're not all that clever as a collective society, you know? Just sayin'. (And yes, I did think about naming her Amelia Frost with full intentions of it being seen as cliche.)
    Last edited by renrose; May 10th, 2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: I pressed 'edit' instead of 'quote'. I didn't change anything, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by mack_dogg99 View Post
    Maepae,
    I get where you're coming from with the cliche-ness--guess I suck at being specific. See, what I was thinking was that A. this isn't the modern human world, so obviously their surname standards would be different from ours, and B. since they still have a monarchy that has ultimate power over most things, I was thinking that they're not all that clever as a collective society, you know? Just sayin'. (And yes, I did think about naming her Amelia Frost with full intentions of it being seen as cliche.)
    Are you saying she was given the surname Frost because of her powers? If so, there's no problem there as long as you explain it. If she is a girl with ice powers who just happens to have the surname Frost then... yeah... that's way too obvious.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    Are you saying she was given the surname Frost because of her powers? If so, there's no problem there as long as you explain it. If she is a girl with ice powers who just happens to have the surname Frost then... yeah... that's way too obvious.
    Okay, now I really feel like I'm bad at explaining things. I'm not too far in progress with this idea, but I guess what I'm getting at is that her powers were hereditary so the family decided to call themselves the Frosts, or else other people started calling them that. But of course, the reason that I posted this in the first place was so that I could get feedback on the name Amelia Frost...