Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Prim & Proper but Fun

Hello! I'm going to start off with an apology. I am sorry that you may be about to read a novel that may or may not make any sense and will probably ramble a bit!

We're so super excited to be expecting a little girl! She will be the first granddaughter on either side of our family so of course family is trying to get involved. My husband has, sadly, had to leave for a bit of time for work (and is very hard to reach) so I'm somewhat doing this whole naming thing on my own My current dilemma is finding a balance between the two very different styles. My husband's family has always been very into the prim, proper, classic type of names and mine has been the more fun and "different" kind. There are so many Elizabeth's, Catherine's, and Victoria's in his family that if there is one more, I may scream. This leads into the women on his side pushing us towards using a more traditional name; that it would look bad if we used something "too different". My husband is very close with his family and I don't want to cause a rift, but names that I consider more "stuffy" they like and I just can't get behind them. I know that I may seem like a bit of a coward, she is our daughter and not theirs, but they're currently the only family I have near by to help me through this time with my husband being gone and I'd rather not completely piss them off.

Since I'm not getting a whole lot of real help from them, I'm turning to the internet, haha! Like I said, I'm trying to find that balance between the two: prim & proper and more fun & creative. By fun and creative, I don't mean misspelled names or made up names; but more international or exotic or unused names.

Do you think you can help me? She will have three middle names (as per tradition on my husband's side) which will be family names and have yet to be decided! Sorry that I can't give that to kind of help find a "flow"!

Thank you if you actually read my mess of a post!
    ~Kira

To avoid some repeats, here is my long list (though already have some favorites and ones I will probably get rid of):

Eloise
    Georgina
    Freya
    Celia
    Elowen
    Katia
    Penelope
    Willa
    Lilja
    Anya
    Liv
    Thisbe
    Viviana
    Ruby
    Ellie
    Lilah
    Ayla
    Alessandra
    Delia
    India
    Luciana
    Ariana
    Genevieve
    Aurora
    Evelyn
    Elsa
    Hazel
    Georgia
    Amelia
    Last edited by kir; May 10th, 2014 at 03:56 PM.

I'll be happy to help you, so feel free to private message me if you want more suggestions.

I think you need something classic, sweet & spunky. Something that feels a bit younger and has more life/livelihood. let's see what I can come up with.

Elodie
    Eloise
    Marin
    Lillian
    Georgina
    Freya
    Claire
    Celia
    Katia
    Octavie/Octavia
    Corinne
    Greta
    Lucille
    Lucy
    Lucia
    Miranda
    Mira
    Amira
    Millicent
    Penelope
    Elowen
    Florence
    Flora
    Vera
    Willow
    May
    Mabel
    Priscilla
    Imogene
    Eugenie/Eugenia
    Emilienne
    Delyth
    Miriam
    Ingrid
    Astrid
    Lilja
    Annika
    Anya
    Opal
    Pearl
    Anneliese
    Eulalie/Eulalia
    Gwen
    Willa
    Laurel
    Olive
    Liv
    Lena
    Elena
    Avalon
    Sabrina
    Audrey
    Adrienne
    Jessamine
    Tamsin
    Olivienne
    Rosaline
    Violet
    Viola
    Matilda
    Mathilde
    Vivienne
    Thea
    Thisbe
    Esme
    Romilly
    Marieke
    Marilla
    Marika
    June
    Juno
    Junia
    Nadia

PM me anytime if you need more help!
    Jude, blackbird.

Aleka // Audrey // Cass // Chloe // Etta // Haley // Frances // India // Margot // Marian
    Miranda // Molly // Rosi // Samantha // Stephanie

Not made up, but light, and not too somber, a bit unexpected:

Theodora - Great meaning, not too modern, but you don't hear it everyday. Lots of nicks. No longer than Isabella but a lot more oomph.
    Penelope - Lots of nicks, but also a mythological grounding.
    Evangeline, Christabel/Christiana - Religious but not staid Catherine/Elizabeth type names?
    Raphaela - Lushly beautiful, a bit European, but accessible.
    Alice - This is a mix of completely-classic but a bit whimsical. The Alice in Wonderland thing saves it from being frumpy, for me.
    Theresa, Esther - Classic names that cut down to breezy-yet-not-bizarre Tess. Tess/Tessa is adorable as a nickname, and inlaws can't exactly pretend you made up Theresa or Esther.
    Felicity, Verity, Amity - the unexpected virtue names. They have some spunk and strength I think.
    Eliza - Somehow much lighter than Elizabeth?

Am I way off track?

@jasmine.lee: Thank you so much for all the suggestions and the offer! I like Eloise, Georgina, Freya, Celia, Katia, Penelope, Elowen, Willa, Lilja (am I saying this right? Lil-ya?), Anya, Liv, and Thisbe! However, I know with a few of them there would be "hell to pay" if we actually used it

@stripedsocks: Thank you so much for the suggestions! A lot of the names are a bit too dated or too old for me personally; though I like Penelope! I'm super iffy on Alice, in the last week alone I've come across 4 Alice's

Two of my favorite names are Priya and Zuri if that helps give a better idea of my style!

You're adorable!! :-)

Let me see if I can help... And sorry for any repeats. I'm going for more vintage names. Just a fair warning I prefer shorter name. I will try to think of longer names as well.

Ava
    Grace
    Kaylene
    Anna
    Coraline
    Vera
    Vivian/Viviana- nn Vivi
    Amelia/Emilia- nn Mia
    Farrah/Faye
    Rosalie/Rosalyn
    Charlotte/Scalett- nn Lottie or Lettie
    Penelope