Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thoughts on Buttercup?

-- What are your thoughts on buttercup? Have you ran into any buttercups or know of anyone named buttercup? If you were to use this as a Christened name, what would be your nickname choice? Would you even use it?

- If I used it as a name, I would definitely half to be willing to go this bold, which I am not. Setting this aside, I personally would choose to go the British route for a shorter name and choose a funny quirky shorter names like: Popcorn,Reece, Butter or some cutsy name like Goldie or Golda, Fleur, maybe something fancy but off the beaten path like Goldive (pronounced gold-yee-va)...
    Last edited by vespertinerose; May 8th, 2014 at 09:11 PM.

The only Buttercups I know of are a cat and a horse. I'm afraid I can't see this as a child's name at all. Plus kids can be cruel and the name starts with Butt.
    - Evelyn - Alice - Margot - Edith - Maeve - Gaia - Sylvie - Indira - Martha - Beatrix - Miriam (Miri) - Freya -

- Seth - Marcus - Stefan - Roran (Rory) - Caspar - Reuben - Malachi - Christopher (Kit) - Eben - Gideon -

- Eden - Indigo - Ezri - Ophelia (Effie) - Zinnia - / - Tycho - Atticus - Beckett - Marius - Zephyr -

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenlouise View Post
    The only Buttercups I know of are a cat and a horse. I'm afraid I can't see this as a child's name at all. Plus kids can be cruel and the name starts with Butt.
    Mmmm... Butt did cross my mind. I was trying to be a bit more optimistic, considering Henry/Harry/Seaborne and many other names have the same connection. It seems any names can be misconstrued into anything... I knew a little girl in my nieces class named Liberty and the kids called her Libertard and fatty watty Libby. One girl I went to school with was named summer, and they called her bummer. It seems futile to some extent. But the princess connection does sit better than butt, if all kids were familiar with the princess from the movie/book/ :-)

The only Buttercup I know if from the book/movie The Princess Bride. Sorry, but I also think this is a pets name. I can't even think of an NNs to go with this.

Honestly, I think Buttercup as a name is a terrible idea. I can't think of any good nicknames for it, maybe Bea? Depending on where you're from, she would be bullied and teased all throughout school. (I say depending because I am basing this on what would happen where I live) Yes kids can making something bad out of anything, but why give them the ammunition? Unfortunately not all kids will know the princess (I don't think a lot of them will) so the "good connection" will not be there most of the time. As a nickname, Buttercup may be a bit more "acceptable" but as a given name, I don't see it turning out too well, sorry!