Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Character Name: Adventerous girl

Hi everyone!
    So I have made a character who now needs a name. However even after spending a while researching I still couldn't quite find a name that would suit her. Most of the characters of my story has rather symbolic names and I want this character to be no diffferent.

It would really help me if you either rated the names from 1-10 that I am already considering or Give me some new suggestions of names I have not thought of

Before I list my considered names, here's a bit of info about the character. She's a rather outspoken, free spirited adventerous girl with a stubborn but charming personality. She's youthful and appears upbeat to most yet still has a rather thoughtful mind when alone. She has had a lot of inconsistency in her life right from the beginning of her childhood, so she has commitment issues and problems with letting people close to her. Strong, wild, tomboyish, lonely, free and changing.

What I want in a name: I want it to be a name that relates to terms such as: adventure, discovering, free, travel, wild, wind, nature, youth, strong, strength, rain, stubborn, war and seeking. The terms I would like the most as a symbolic meaning are bolded. I would like the name to be either just slightly unusual or a bit familiar. Not something ultra popular or ultra exotic. It can't be too feminine or girly and shouldn't be too long unless there's an obvious nickname in it. Also, nature references are nice but I don't want anything too hippyish.

Here are the names which I am considering:
    • Gale - I like the hint of wind, though I don't want very "hippyish" names. I am just not sure if I like the Hunger Games reference and the name doesn't seem to stick out to me.
    • Aya - I like the fact it means "bird" but I could probably use a better symbolic meaning. This name might be a little too short or a little feminine.
    • Storme/Storm - I really like the symbolic meaning but I am not sure which variation I should go with and it might be a little too "dark" name.
    • Amaia - I love how this name has "Maia" which means strong in it, and yet it puts a spin on it. It also means "Dark rain" and "end" which I like... but it might be too feminine, I am not sure...
    • Glenn - I think this name is too common sounding but I like the toughness to it and it's meaning, "Arrow" and "Narrow Valley".
    • Gillian - It sounds nice and I like the way it's spelled but might be a bit too girly... I like the meaning of "youthful" though.
    • Hayden - I think this name has a nice tomboy'ishness and toughness to it but I fear it might lack some originality and symbolicness.
    • Lian - Another name that I like the sound of. It sounds tough and seems like a nice mixture of harshness for a tomboyish girl. But the symbolic meaning is lacking a bit.
    • Aviva - I like that it means "springlike" or "fresh" but it might be too exotic and too feminine.
    • Andrea - It means strong which is nice and has the right amount of rareness but it does sound a bit feminine...

Those are my opinions on the names I am considering - but what's yours? I would love you to tell me! Or if you feel like you have the perfect name for this character, please suggest it below! Thank you so much everyone!

I like Storme/Storm and Amaia
    Here are some suggestions
    Kyrah,Kirah,Kyra,Kairah,etc
    Briar, Brier
    Sage
    Skye
    Alala
    Rayne
    Raelynne(Ryn~Rain)
    Hope these help (:

Storme
    Aya
    Amaia
    Lian
    Andrea
    Gillian
    Aviva
    Hayden
    Gale
    Glenn

Hey, how about Gillian nn Lian? That way you get to use both!

Names that mean 'youthful' - Julia, Juliet, and other variations.
    Another name that means 'bird' is Avia or Aviana

And there are actually loads of names with mean 'strong' or 'warrior':

Bree
    Isa
    Bridget
    Ellen (courage)
    Louise/Louisa
    Keren
    Maud(e)
    Melisent
    Gerda
    Imala
    Mildred
    Brianna
    Abira

I realize some of those might be too feminine for you, but have you considered giving her a girly name and then having her give herself a tomboyish nickname?

For freedom, there's always Charlotte and Caroline.
    Last edited by calypsotheoneandonly; May 11th, 2014 at 02:52 AM. Reason: found another name
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will spend it's whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein.

14, writer (http://www.wattpad.com/user/arboretum), and obsessed with names since forever.

Plucky Heroines - Lyla, Waverly, Caroline, Lucy, Linnea, Early, Arielle, Ariadne, Felicity 'Fliss', Livienne, Ketura 'Kit', Laura
    Dashing Heroes - Waylon, Luca, Wilder,Stephen, Daniel, Lysander, Levi, Nathaniel, Adam

I like Aya and Amaia(my middle name is Amaya) the best.
    Not all of these mean strong, but they sound and/or feel strong to me:
    Kit
    Greer
    Flannery
    Adair
    Bellamy
    Zora
    Noor
    Saoirse(pronounced seer-sha or sometimes sir-sha, it actually means liberty)
    Lark
    Maeve
    Neve
    Zola
    Ailis(ay-lish)
    Juno
    Juniper
    Maren
    Romy
    Sarai
    Ailsa
    Marlo
    Wren
    Elke(el-kuh or elk-uh)
    Seren
    Aderyn
    Ever
    Have you seen the posts, Fetching Names: The Katnisses and 25 Frills-Free Names for Girls on Appellation Mountain? I got most of my suggestions from those, but there are more strong sounding names included in the lists. Each post has a part two. I believe Britishbabynames has done a post on names that actually mean strong, but I couldn't find it. Good luck with your story.
    Last edited by jayden101; May 14th, 2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Found more names
    Under Construction

I'm liking Hayden and Amaia from your list
    Other that have been suggested like Wren and Elke which here we pronounce as Ell-key
    16 year old girl in year 11 (: I write when I can so I'm always on the lookout for new names

Girls: Melody, Briar, Arabella, Tempest, Zoey, London, Zara, Peyton, Sadie, Rani, Liora, Jordan
    Boys: Jackson, Rixon, Seamus, Jai, Claude, Carter, Asher, Rhys, Rian (prn Ree-an), Levi, Leo, Joey, Harper, Damien, Sebastian, Jasper