Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Jehanne in a bottle

I've been thinking about Eugenie and Jehanne lately… Either would honor my MIL, a Jean. But the honoring part is just a bonus. Mostly I'm interested in that beautiful zhezhezhe sound!

What do you think of these two names?
    Eugenie honors both a Yu and Jean - two birds one stone. I really enjoy its waltz rhythm (YUzhenee YUzhenee…) Or do you say "yuzheNEE"?
    Jehanne is pronounced "ZHUH-nee." I knew one, and always loved how her name sounded a bit mundane like Johnny or Jenny, and a bit exotic because of the "zhuzhed" J. Also it's the original name of Joan of Arc - cool!

Which do you prefer and why?
    What kind of middles would you suggest? I'd probably go with Solace for Eugenie, but Jehanne has me stumped. There is a Christine who I'd love to honor, but Jehanne Christine doesn't thrill me.

Is Jehanne/Eugenie too close to Xenia? (firstborn girl, who would go mostly by a middle name much like Maeve)

Thanks All!

I don't pronounce either name the way you do. Are you sure you have your pronunciations right? If I pronounce the names the way you say, I prefer the first. But really, I don't think wither name is pronounced with a z.
    Isla, Sadie, Neva, Thalia, Leora, Sylvia, Maeve, Flora, Aria & Tessa
    Noah, Henry, Ronan, Wyatt, August, Caleb, Grant, Charlie, Flynn & Alfie

Oh thanks Waverly. I'm terrible with phonetic explanations.
    Not a z but a "zhe" sound, as in Zsa Zsa Gabor.

I'm not familiar with pronunciations of Eugénie other than French that would give the zhe sound, in which case it be close to oo-zhay-nee. Germanic languages would be something along the lines of YOU-genie, I'm guessing.

As far as Jehanne goes, I don't know that ancien français is widespread enough that you could ever expect to hear it pronounced correctly.

Thanks Rarely. Clearly I have been butchering Eugenie's pronunciation. How embarrassing! I know the French "eu" sound is kind of a cross between an OO and a YU. Figured a realistic pronunciation to expect from Americans would be something like a cross between the words "usually" and "any." What I'm realizing as I mull it over, is that Eugenie has a familiar and unattractive Americanized pronunciation ("yuJEENEE") whereas Jehanne does not. People will adapt Eugenie to whatever pronunciation they're familiar with, whereas a Jehanne will be asked to repeat her name until it sinks in. I think that since people won't have a frame of reference for Jehanne, they're more likely to pronounce it correctly. I knew a Jehanne for many years, and never noticed anyone having trouble with her name... but perhaps it's more of an issue when reading aloud.