Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Female Names with Many Options

While I have always been passionate about names and have a HUGE collection of names I love, were I to name a passel of girls now, I find myself leaning toward female names with myriad nickname/alternate name options.

Virginia, for example. Options include: Virginia, Virginie, Ginia, Gin, Ginnie, Ginny, Gina, Regina, maybe more.

Catherine: Catherine, Cate, Catie, Cathy, Cathleen, Kit, Kitty, Cricket...

Elizabeth: Eliza, Beth, Bethany, Bess, Bessie, Betsy, Betsan, Betty, Libby, Elsa, Elsie, Elsbeth, Elspeth

Araminta: Araminta, Aminta, Amity, Amy, Minta, Minty, Mint, Minnie

Wilhelmina: Wilhelmina, Helma, Willa, Wilma, Billie, Minnie, Mina, Minna

Forsythia: Forsythia, Flora, Florrie, Flossie, Sythia, Forsythe…

Caledonia: Caledonia, Callie, Calla, Cal, Donia, Donna, Nia

Gertrude: Gertrude, Gert, Gertie, Trudy,Trudie, Gerda

Marilla: Marilla, Rilla, Mary, Mamie, Maryanna, Meg, Maisie, Molly, Mae, May

Petra: Petra, Polly, Petrova, Petronella, Pia

I know I must have missed some wonderful other nicknames?

I just know that I would be less willing to name a daughter something like Enid (though I love it) than one of these many option names.

And yet for male names, I mostly feel quite the opposite. I love short male names like Keir, Dane, Mark, Scott, Craig, Bram, Cal, Frank, Roan, Ned, etc. Even the longer names I love like Hamish, Tavish, Graham, Reginald, Russell,Roger, Vernon, etc. don't have nearly as many nicknames as my favorite female choices.

Unsure why...

I like names with at least one nickname option but the more the better. However, I think I would stay with nicknames that are sort of explainable, where at least the beginning or the end matches a letter/sound combination of the actual name.
    So for me Leonora can turn into Lea but Leonora cannot turn into Ena or Ennie.
    Polly

Flora | Ophelia | Penelope | Rose

August | Elliott Caspar Frederick | Theo

Quote Originally Posted by opheliaflora View Post
    I like names with at least one nickname option but the more the better. However, I think I would stay with nicknames that are sort of explainable, where at least the beginning or the end matches a letter/sound combination of the actual name.
    So for me Leonora can turn into Lea but Leonora cannot turn into Ena or Ennie.
    I understand what you mean about nicknames. So Coral or Delia would be "common sense" nicknames for Cordelia, but there's also the other kind of nickname, the more idiosyncratic and personal. So for example, if I named my daughter Tabitha and called her Tabby at times, I might also end up nicknaming her Kitty, because tabbies are kitties. Not with the expectation that anyone else would call her that or that she would put that on her resume or anything official.

My name is Leslie, not apparently a rich name for nicknames, but I've had about a dozen nicknames over the years, many not deeply linked to my name: Les, Lester, Leslie Lulubelle, Lulu, Lettie, Pret, Bert, and others more arcane.

I think family nicknames can always be different and since you would call your child by their names so often, they just start to develop, I think.
    With your examples: I totally get Petrova and Petronella as nicknames for Petra, though because they are longer than the actual name, I would think these were family nicknames to make the name cuter.
    But from the outside and not being a part of the family, I wouldn't get Polly and Pia.
    Last edited by opheliaflora; May 2nd, 2014 at 08:38 PM.
    Polly

Flora | Ophelia | Penelope | Rose

August | Elliott Caspar Frederick | Theo

Abigail - Abe, Abby/Abbie/Abbey, Gail, Ailey
    Adelina - Ada, Addie, Adele, Adela, Della, Delly, Lina, Lee, Alina
    Beatrix - Bee/Bea, Bebe, Beah, Trix, Trixie, Bette
    Camilla - Cam, Cami/Cammy, Camille, Milla, Mila, Milly/Millie
    Celestia - Cece, Ciel, Celie, Celeste, Les, Lessie, Essie, Estee, Tia
    Cornelia - Coco, Cora, Cori/Corrie/Cory, Corny (?), Nell, Nellie/Nelly, Lia
    Dorothea - Dody, Dori/Dory/Dorrie, Dora, Doro, Roe, Dot, Dottie/Dotty, Thea, Didi
    Eloise - Elle, Ellie, Ella, Else, Elsie, Elsa, Lo, Lola, Lois
    Esmeralda - Essa, Essie, Esme, Mer, Mera, Meri/Merry, Alda, Ali
    Gwendolen - Gwen, Gwenda, Gwendla, Gwennie/Gwenny, Gwenna, Wendy, Wen, Win, Winnie, Dody, Dolly, Doll, Dolen, Len, Leni
    Jessamine - Jess, Jesse/Jessie, Jessa, Essa, Essie, Sam, Sami/Sammie/Sammy, Ami, Mini/Minnie, Mina, Jimi/Jimmie/Jimmy, Jem
    Lucinda - Lou, Lulu, Lula, Luce, Luca, Lucy/Lucie, Lucia, Cindy, Cinda, Indy/Indie
    Leonora - Lee, Leo, Leona, Oona, Leora, Leonie, Lea, Nori, Nora
    Marguerite - Maggie, Marge, Margie, Marge, Mari, Mae/May, Meg, Margot, Margret, Rita, Marita, Pearl, Daisy
    Melisande - Mel, Mela, Mellie/Melly/Meli, Lisa, Lise, Lissie/Lissy, Issy/Issie, Sandy, Andy/Andie, Melisa
    Penelope - Pen, Penny, Penna, Nell, Nelly/Nellie, Poppy, Peri, (Ducky!)
    Rosemary - Roe, Rose, Rosa, Rosie/Rosy, Mary, May/Mae, Romy, Rory
    Susannah - Sue, Susie/Susy, Susanne, Suze, Anna, Annie, Zanna, Sanne, Sanna, Sosie, Suki/Sukie/Sukey, Sunny
    Veronica - Vee, Vera, Very, Ron, Roni/Ronnie/Ronny, Nic, Nicky/Niki, Nica
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude