Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Galloway?

Galloway?

I am really loving the name Galloway Marion right now for baby boy, mostly because Louis L'Amour has played such an important role in our family culture. I have two nephews with Louis L'Amour character names, Lando and Orrin. It makes my dad so happy when we pick L'Amour names. Besides the L'Amour significance, Galloway just sounds playful and fun to me.

All my kids have family middles. Marion is my grandfather's middle name. It is also the name of my husband's ancestor, Francis Marion--better known as the Swamp Fox. He was a famous Revolutionary War hero. It doesn't hurt that Marion is John Wayne's real name. Yes, I do come from a farming family. I think most boys would find all those connections worth the girlish tint to the name.

The only other name I'm really liking right now is Noble Marion. I like Noble because it is the last name of a really awesome ancestor of mine. However, I love really fun, mischievous sounding boy names and Noble doesn't really match that image.

My other boys are Cowen Timothy, Eli Wilford, and Oskar John. (Oskar with a 'k' to honor our German heritage.)

I just can't find any boy names that evoke the feeling I like my boy names to have. Oh, except Roscoe. LOVE ROSCOE, but I think it is too close to Oskar.

Is Galloway too far out there?
    Last edited by nativoyoung; May 2nd, 2014 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Want to track the responses

I like Galloway Marion. Marion's not my fav, but it has a lot of significance to you... which is important. Oskar and Galloway go together nicely. With the surnames as first names trend right now, and the Irish names trend, I think Galloway fits in while still being unique.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Hmm... It's far too place-namey for me and I don't think it fits with your other boy's names.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

If Galloway doesn't fit my boy names or is too far out there (although I like it with Cowen because they are both Irish), than what about Whitman? I like the shortened Whit. However, we never, ever, ever call our kids by nicknames so having a nickname I plan on using seems a little weird.

Whitman, nn Whit, is nice and miles better than Galloway (which is only a place and a sort of cattle for me - if I met brothers Cowen and Galloway I'd be wondering if the parents were cow fanatics or something). Whitney is also nice.
    Baby #1 due May/June 2015
    Emil - Ingimar - Kjartan - Matthías - Óskar - Róbert

Elísabet - Elva - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa