Names Searched Right Now:

Thoughts on an Old Norse Boy name?

- Cyneburg pronounced Ken-burg or Kyne-burg.

-It seem wearable with the short name Ken or perhaps spelled Cyne as an option. Do you know of any negative associations to it? Thoughts on the name? Is too unisex sounding? Or female sounding?

- It reminds of the Welsh name Cyndyrn (pronounced kunderun). The female variant is Cyneburga or what we know today as Kimberly...

Thank You! :-)
    Last edited by vespertinerose; May 1st, 2014 at 11:14 PM.

I would instinctively read it as Sigh-nee-burg. And honestly that just doesn’t appeal to me.
    Cyneburga (Cine-burga) appeals to me more. However, I find both rather difficult and unless you have a strong ancestral tie to it I would probably write this one off as being more trouble than it’s worth.

FYI: I have no idea why I would read one as Sigh-nee and the other as Cine.... Just the way it is I guess.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Thank you for your insight. We do have strong roots. The family wants us to use it after they new the name means "royal forest", they feel forest is all boy and rugged. Kyne or Kine + burg is natural enunciation for me, but I'm raised with the familiarity. Outside perspective helps clarify things and its potential use. :-)

This is what I saw on wikipedia from the google search:
    "The name of Lord Kimberley's title is derived from the like-named place, Kimberley, in Norfolk, England. This place name is derived from two Old English elements: the first is the feminine personal name Cyneburg; the second element is lēah, meaning "wood" or "clearing".[1][2] The place name roughly means: the "woodland clearing of Cyneburg". This place name was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Chineburlai.[2] The Old English personal name Cyneburg means "royal-fortress"."
    It seems to be more Old English. I may be incorrect, but the Old Norse Alphabet didn't have the letter "c". The Anglo-Saxon runes I believe did have the "c".
    http://www.runestones.com/runes.htm

Anyways, I would pronounce it as Kyne-burg. Having lived in areas where areas are named with -burg (e.g., Pittsburgh, Harrisburg), it has a very place name-y feel to me. I don't know if a place name sound would bother you or not, but it's what I thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by kakin View Post
    This is what I saw on wikipedia from the google search:
    "The name of Lord Kimberley's title is derived from the like-named place, Kimberley, in Norfolk, England. This place name is derived from two Old English elements: the first is the feminine personal name Cyneburg; the second element is lēah, meaning "wood" or "clearing".[1][2] The place name roughly means: the "woodland clearing of Cyneburg". This place name was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Chineburlai.[2] The Old English personal name Cyneburg means "royal-fortress"."
    It seems to be more Old English. I may be incorrect, but the Old Norse Alphabet didn't have the letter "c". The Anglo-Saxon runes I believe did have the "c".
    http://www.runestones.com/runes.htm

Anyways, I would pronounce it as Kyne-burg. Having lived in areas where areas are named with -burg (e.g., Pittsburgh, Harrisburg), it has a very place name-y feel to me. I don't know if a place name sound would bother you or not, but it's what I thought of.
    No, place/locations do not bother me. Many of them existed before they became a state/city/location ect.. as a name before they became known as what they are today. Thank you for the information, I greatly appreciate it. :-)