Names Searched Right Now:

Romance Language Names for Girls

My husband's parents are non-native English speakers; both were first fluent in Romance (Latin) languages. We'd like to choose names that will be easy for them (and us!) to pronounce. Any ideas for names from these languages (e.g. Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian) that would not be difficult for my own, native English speaking tongue?

I recently came across Gracilia (Portuguese) which I thought was intriguing--it sort of seems to combine Grace and Cecilia. I found that I liked just Grace Cecilia better, myself, but Gracilia is intriguing! I love Aurora, Liliana, Giovanna, Giuseppina, Gemma, etc., in Italian, and Mireya and Catalina in Spanish, and several that are quite international, like Anna/Ana, Clara, Eva, Sofia, Lucia (although I prefer the English LOO-shah or the Italian loo-CHEE-ah to the Spanish loo-SEE-ah), Camila, etc., etc. I'm not terribly familiar with Romanian names, but I've found Romansh names to be really intriguing.

French is where my true passion and understanding are; I'm learning French and my best friend was French; I have family living in Paris, and I just really am in a French name kick right now. Some of my favorites, lately:

Agathe (ah-GAHT)
    Agnès (ahn-YESS)
    Aliénor
    Amélie
    Anaïs
    Anne-Sophie
    Anouk
    Arianne
    Arielle
    Aurélie
    Aurore
    Capucine (cap-oo-seen)
    Charlotte
    Cécile
    Claire
    Coralie
    Éléonore
    Élise
    Félicité
    Hélène (ay-LEN)
    Isabelle
    Liliane
    Madeleine
    Marine
    Mireille/Mirielle
    Odette
    Odile
    Ophélie
    Pénélope
    Rosalie
    Sixtine (SEES-teen; I think it's beautiful!)
    Vivienne
    Zoé

Rebecca works pretty well in all the languages, too. I also like Adelaide, Genevieve, and Edith, and they are pretty widely used in French culture, but I don't like the sound in French at all (ah-deh-lah-eed, zhahn-vee-ev, and ay-deet).

Hopefully, others will have more thorough Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, etc. names for you.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter