Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The "B" List

Lightbulb The "B" List

Please talk me into or out of my favorite B's :

"Close your eyes and think about it.

Which name do you really, really love the most?

Go with the one that makes you smile every time you say it."

--Suelain Moy, author

My favorites are Briar, Betsy/Betsey, and Beatrix. I think Briar has a modern powerful feel to her, but she's also got the sweet femininity of Briar Rose (Sleeping Beauty). Briar is short enough to not need a nickname, but Brie is fun and spunky. I would imagine Briar as a creative, bright, vibrant character, and I think she pairs well with a strong classic middle name, something like Briar Imogen or Briar Gwendolen. Betsy is sassy, peppy, yet decidedly vintage. I think it harkens back to a softer, quieter, more peaceful time, but rather has a vibrant, playful image in today's society, a la Betsey Johnson. I really can't decide which spelling I prefer, but both are fun, not frumpy like other vintage nicknames can sometimes be. If Edie and Evie are coming back, Betsy/Betsey sure can, too! I like Betsy with a sweet and charming middle name, such as Betsy Clementine or Betsy Wilhelmina, but I also think you could dress her up with a vivacious middle name like Betsy Lucinda or Betsy Delphine. Finally, Beatrix is romantic yet strong. I love Beatrix Potter, and I love the zesty X ending of Beatrix over Beatrice. It's got charm and character. Bea is one of my favorite nicknames, but Beah is an unusual twist. Trix and Trixie have a certain spunk to them, too. I love Beatrix with a vintage name, like Beatrix June or Beatrix Rebecca, even Beatrix Lyda for a different Lydia twist. I can also see Beatrix with a more modern name, a la Beatrix Marlowe or Beatrix Arden, or even something like Beatrix Juno.
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Thank you so much, @lemon, for taking the time to provide your characteristic refreshingly unique style of feedback.
    "Close your eyes and think about it.

Which name do you really, really love the most?

Go with the one that makes you smile every time you say it."

--Suelain Moy, author

My favourites are Bathsheba, Bedelia, Blythe and Briar. B is one of my favourite letters! I love how it's spunky and soft at the same time.

Bathsheba - I have always been fascinated by Bathsheba. Recently when I watched 'Beasts of the Southern Wild' where there's an awesome teacher-lady called Bathsheba it really came to life for me and became more of a possibility rather than a GP. I imagina a Bathsheba would be very stubborn and always choose her own path. A powerful name. I also really love the Spanish Betsabé, it has gorgeous rhythm it's like a dance all on its own. I would also like to mention that you could use Betsy as a nickname for either.

Bedelia - I had to look it up to remember why I like it so much, I was so happy to see it and I couldn't remember why, it's because of the fire connection through Bridget. I have a thing for fire-related names. It's nice, but it's mostly the fire thing that I love about it, and I would personally choose Brigid. Or Ophelia.

Blythe - I must admit I like Blithe a little better, but Blythe is beautiful as well. I love the meaning and the airy sound. Makes me think of tiny, white wildflowers for some reason, there's a specific flower I have in mind but I have no idea what it's called... I know it's not babys breath, but they look similar to how babys breath looks in the wild, all in a tangle only with even smaller flowers. When trying to come up with something more to say, it strikes me that I actually like Blythe as a middle name more than a first.

Briar - While I love Briar for either gender, I find myself considering it more for a girl than a boy, this one usually in the middle as well. I think my problem is that if Briar is used as a first it sort of sets a very specific theme for all the other names in a potential sibset. (The only name from the A-list that works as a first name next to Briar for me is Audra.) It's sort of a name with two sides, the roses and the thorns. I love the rougher thorny part the most which is why I would pair it with Audra.

Betsy - I never liked Elizabeth or Beth or Liz, Betsy is too connected to those for me to like it. It's also too gum-drop sweet. It really makes me think of multi-coloured candy, or a girl with a huge, swirly-rainbow lollipop stuck to her tongue, or a cow. It's just not serious enough for me, way too cute. (Which is why, although I suggested it earlier, I don't like Betsy as a nickname for Bathsheba, I think Betsy would seriously diminish Bathsheba's power. I feel the same about a Persephone nicknamed Posy which I used to love but now really hate...)

Beatrix - is charming, but again a name-nerd staple, she's everywhere and I've grown tired of her. Viatrix is cooler, but it's also just two letters away so it's not really different enough. Same with Beatriz, lovely but still too much the same.. I like Bix, Bay or Bea (pronounced BEE-uh) best for nicknames.
    I forgot Behati, she's the best variant! I love Behati, and she's different enough!
    For names with x in them, Lux and Rixende are my favourites ^^
    Åshild / Norwegian / 24 / Name Collector / Work: Daycare and the Library / Love to bake, read and listen to music

Emerence + Eulalie + Everild + Flora + Helena + Leonor + Louisa + Nimue + Ophelia + Rosalind
    Balthasar + Edmund + Emmanuel + Emrys + Ignatius + Isidor + Leonidas + Oberon + Valentine

Want to help me with my lists?
    GIRLS
    BOYS

Bloom + Blythe + Evening + Mercy + Vesper + Briar + Boone + Forest + Hawthorn + Prosper

Bathsheba--Probably a big exotic/dramatic for every day life.
    Beatrix--Love it! So bright, happy, fun!
    Bedelia--I just think of Amelia Bedelia. I'll admit I don't know the history of the name, so maybe it's the singsongy-ness of that combo that throws me.
    Betsy--Very cute. I would want it as a nickname for Elizabeth, though.
    Blythe--Love it! Warm, sophisticated, lovely.
    Briar--Interesting. Unique. Not a soft name, but I like it.