Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    What are your thoughts on this age-old Southern tradition?
    -- I'm all for traditions! I think that family surnames usually work best as middle names though, not first names.

Are there any maiden names in your family that you could see yourself using for a child?
    -- I used to like the idea of using my great-grandma's maiden name, Parker, as a middle name but now that it's gotten so popular as a first name, it doesn't feel as special to me.

Personally, I'd never use my maiden name anywhere in my child's name because it just doesn't sound right as a given name. I would possibly consider it as a second middle name but it's not likely. I also don't care that women change their surname to that of their husband's. It's so ridiculous that people even care whether or not women change their surnames.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Oh, and I think Doss works fine as a nickname for Dawson. I wouldn't go with Dossen though, it just looks too contrived.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

I'm also originally from the South and grew up with the tradition, but at least in my family it manifested mainly for girls to carry a maiden name as their middle name, although there are a couple boys with surname first names. Personally I couldn't do it, but mainly because the country where I now live doesn't allow it. That said, my maiden name would never work as a first name.
    Girls
    Freja, Ottilia, Cosima, Araminta, Cressida, Georgia, Katarina

Boys
    Otto, Balthasar, Caspian

Love the tradition. If I were you, I'd just keep digging in the family tree 'til you find a jewel. Some old family names I like (some go back 10 generations before they show up)--Levicy, Boyer, Tudor, Tatum, Trudeau, Holder, Cantrell, Purviance, Lisenby, Casterline.

I really like Dossen instead of Dawson, which I have never really like the spelling of. I would love to have a last name that would work as a first but mine has a silent letter and would sounds silly on a boy or man. I only know a couple of family last names but they include,

Oswald
    Buchanan
    Finlayson
    Beaton
    Jarrett

My great aunt's and uncle's on my mum's side all have family last names as middle names which I really like. It's a tradition to have a middle name that honours a family member in my family.
    Last edited by flowercait; April 27th, 2014 at 03:35 PM.
    All good things are wild and free.

August Leo Wilder - Brock Louis Gunnar - Stellan Ezra Thomas - Flynn Alexander Bodhi
    Jasper William Finch

Emilia Grace Shiloh - Hazel Briony Ada - Luna Florence Olive - Camrie Joy Matilda

Names change often