Names Searched Right Now:

is Penelope "out there?"

Round where we live there are no Penelope's and probably never will be (or at least only one or two if it takes off as a name) but is it considered "out there" or too unfamiliar? Also after browsing this site all day I like Seraphina too. Is that also considered quite out there in your opinion?
    Would either of these names hold a person back with being unfamiliar or is it just me who has never heard these names on real people lol

Both are adequately common, esp. Penelope...my exceedingly rural grandparents had a very sweet dog by the name years ago. If they're familiar, I expect most everybody is. Seraphine is less common as a name, but familiar enough to those who attend church around Christmas time, at least.

I read the title of your thread and thought “Oh she’s new to NB if she wonders if Penelope is too out there."
    I was glad to see I was right - as you currently have 3 posts. lol.

I think to us, mostly name nerds and mothers to be, neither Penelope nor Seraphina feel OTT (over the top) or too out there. Not everyone here is going to love either of those names - I don’t - but that’s a good thing. Don’t you think? I think giving your future daughter a fabulous name like Penelope is only made better by her not having to share it with every third kid in class.

I don’t know where you live, but in the US Penelope has been in the top 200 names over the past three years - she’s quickly rising in popularity as she appeared in the top 1000 for the first time in about 30 years in 2001. In 2012 2510 girls were given the name. Seraphina is much less popular at only 149 girls in 2012. In the past 100 years she has never made it into the US top 1000 list. However, its shared ending with Josephina makes this name fairly approachable even to someone unfamiliar with it.

I’ve never meet a Penelope but Penelope Cruz comes to mind. I have meet a Seraphine who was a very accomplished women and a rather lovely human being. If you are worried about how approachable the names are you can also consider nn’s (nick-names). I like Penny or Poppy for Penelope and Sera, Fee or Posey for Seraphina.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    I read the title of your thread and thought “Oh she’s new to NB if she wonders if Penelope is too out there."
    I was glad to see I was right - as you currently have 3 posts. lol.

I think to us, mostly name nerds and mothers to be, neither Penelope nor Seraphina feel OTT (over the top) or too out there. Not everyone here is going to love either of those names - I don’t - but that’s a good thing. Don’t you think? I think giving your future daughter a fabulous name like Penelope is only made better by her not having to share it with every third kid in class.

I don’t know where you live, but in the US Penelope has been in the top 200 names over the past three years - she’s quickly rising in popularity as she appeared in the top 1000 for the first time in about 30 years in 2001. In 2012 2510 girls were given the name. Seraphina is much less popular at only 149 girls in 2012. In the past 100 years she has never made it into the US top 1000 list. However, its shared ending with Josephina makes this name fairly approachable even to someone unfamiliar with it.

I’ve never meet a Penelope but Penelope Cruz comes to mind. I have meet a Seraphine who was a very accomplished women and a rather lovely human being. If you are worried about how approachable the names are you can also consider nn’s (nick-names). I like Penny or Poppy for Penelope and Sera, Fee or Posey for Seraphina.
    Lol yes I'm new! We live in UK right bang slap in the middle of the countryside. Hence the reason for not hearing either name lol